Upgrade to remove ads
Competency Two - Group Development Ch 9, 14 - multiple choice
Terms in this set (22)
1. An informal group is characterized by the ________.
A) stipulation of expected behaviors by the organization
B) predetermined designation of tasks of members.
C) pursuit of particular organizational goals.
D) fulfillment of the need for social contact
E) creation of timelines and rationale
2) The second stage of the five-stage group development model is characterized by ________.
A) uncertainty about the purpose, structure, and leadership of the group
B) pride in the accomplishments of the group
C) strong feelings of group identity among members of the group
D) cohesiveness and close relationships among members of the group
E) intragroup conflict within the group
3. When the group energy is focused on the task at hand and the group is fully functional, it is said to be in the stage of ________.
4) Most people assume that a police officer should behave in a lawful manner, refrain from demonstrating favoritism to any particular group, and do their best to uphold the law. Which of the following terms best represents these beliefs?
B) role expectation
D) dispersion of responsibility
E) uncertainty reduction
5) The ________ norms dictate behavior such as with whom group members eat lunch and friendships on and off the job.
D) social arrangement
6) Jonas Wilkes has struggled for many years with tight finances at home. Throughout school and college, he worked really hard, earned the best grades, and prepared himself for a better life. By a better life, he meant a house in the uptown Wellington Road and a membership in the Diamond District Club where he envisions himself playing golf on weekends. The residents of Wellington Road and the members of Diamond District Club serve as a ________ for him.
A) reference group
B) organizational group
C) control group
D) nominal group
E) intervention group
7) According to status characteristics theory, which of the following factors does not determine status?
A) contribution to goals
D) ability to conform to group norms
E) control over the resources needed by the group
8. Which of the following is an effective means of countering social loafing?
A) increasing the rewards the group is given if it succeeds
B) increasing the amount by which the group's progress is monitored
C) ensuring that individual contributions to the group's outcome are identified
D) increasing the size of the group
E) increasing the group's workload
9) Which of the following is an advantage of group decision making when compared to individual decision making?
A) increased pace of decision making
B) increased ambiguous responsibility
C) increased diversity of views
D) increased conformity pressures
E) increased dispersion of accountability
10. ________ refers to the degree to which members are attracted to each other and motivated to stay in the group.
B) Social dominance
11. Which of the following steps can be taken by a manager so as to minimize groupthink?
A) increasing the group size
B) encouraging group leaders to develop a stronger sense of group identity
C) preventing all team members from engaging in a critical evaluation of ideas at the beginning
D) asking the group members to first focus on the positives of an alternative rather than the negatives
E) seeking input from employees before the group leader presents his opinions
12. A group decision-making method in which individual members meet face-to-face to pool their judgments in a systematic but independent fashion is the ________ technique.
A) reference groups
B) nominal groups
D) interacting groups
13. Groupshift is seen when ________.
A) group members view themselves in better light when compared to members of the out-group
B) group members tend to exaggerate the initial positions they hold when discussing a given set of alternatives and arriving at a solution
C) group members notice and emphasize identities that reflect how different they are from other groups
D) group members tend to prefer and endorse the products, ideas, and aspects of someone else's culture over their own
E) group members fail to express alternative opinions and deviant views under the influence of the norm for consensus.
14) According to the traditional view of conflict, all conflict is ________.
A) necessary and improves creativity of a group
B) healthy and improves productivity
C) rational and cannot be avoided
D) natural and helps generate discussion
E) harmful and must be avoided
15) For process conflict to be productive, it must be ________.
A) kept low
B) subject to managerial control
C) kept at moderate levels
D) kept high
E) kept at moderate-to-high levels
16. The ________ stage of the conflict process is important because it's where conflict issues tend to be defined.
A) potential opposition
B) cognition and personalization
E) reaction and transference
17. ________ is a conflict-handling technique in which the parties in a conflict each desire to satisfy fully the concerns of all parties.
18. A party who seeks to appease an opponent may be willing to place the opponent's interests above his or her own, sacrificing to maintain the relationship. We refer to this intention as ________.
19. Which of the following is a conflict-stimulation technique?
A) expansion of resources
C) bringing in outsiders
D) exercising authoritative command
E) problem solving
20. Conflict is dysfunctional when it ________.
A) provides a medium to release tension
B) reduces group cohesiveness
C) fosters an environment of self-evaluation
D) provides a means for expressing frustration
E) leads to change
Recommended textbook explanations
Financial Algebra: Advanced Algebra with Financial Applications
Richard Sgroi, Robert Gerver
John Hornsby, Margaret L. Lial, Terry McGinnis
SpringBoard Algebra 1
Sets with similar terms
COMM 1310 Chapter 9
BNC1 Chapter 9
Other sets by this creator
Competency Six - Performance Evaluation…
Competency Five: Leadership Ch 12, 1 - M…
Competency Four - Organizational Culture…
Competency Three - Teams and Team Buildi…
Other Quizlet sets
int expression for dance long
NUTR 473 Unit 2
Agriculture and Rural Land-Use Patterns and Proces…
YM&C Exam #1