Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (49)
The Synoptic gospels have a total of how many parables?
"One thing placed next to another" i.e., a comparison or likeness. It's popular definition is "an terrestrial story with a heavenly meaning."
Did Jesus invent the parabolic method?
No, it was already a style of teaching in the Old Testament and in the pagan literature of those times.
The purpose of the parables was... (4)
1. To make the moral and spiritual truths interesting and easy to understand
2. To put the truths in a form that is easy to remember
3. Not to offend the listeners and to hide the truth from those who waited for an opportunity to trap him.
4. To bring justice or punishment on those who voluntarily maintained their blindness to the truth that the Lord taught.
According to Matthew, the purpose of the parables is to...
Reveal the truth to people that would receive it and second, hide it from the people that would not due to the hardness of their hearts and their attachment to their sins and material things.
Some rules for interpreting the parables are (3)
1. Find the main idea or central truth that the Lord wanted to teach
2. Interpret the details from the central idea
3. To have precaution of non-fundamental doctrine
The seven parables of Matthew 13 have the same ____
The first of the sower could well be called...
The other six could be classified into three pairs
"of the four kinds of soils"
1. The obstacles to the growth of the kingdom
2. The expansion of the kingdom
3. The inestimable value of the kingdom
Jesus withdrew from Galilee and left to a large extent the public ministry for four reasons...
1. The hostility of his adversaries
2. The carnal enthusiasm of the crowds
3. To rest from his arduous labor
4. To be alone with this disciples in order to instruct them about his own person and to prepare them for his crucifixion
The only miracle that appears in all four gospels
The feeding of the 5000
Walking on water
What happened in Dalmanuta or Magdala?
Jesus and his disciples were confronted by the Pharisees and Sadducees who asked him for a sign from heaven as a test of his authority. The sign was the prophet Jonah.
What does the term Church mean?
The assembly of the chosen people
To deny oneself means to...
To take up the cross means to...
- renounce oneself to put Christ as the central objective of life
- to make all sacrifices necessary for the love of Christ
3 reasons to deny oneself
1. That is the road that leads to true life
2. The soul is worth much more than temporary things
3. Christ will return and reward us according to his works
When did the transfiguration take place?
A week after Peter's confession and confirmed Jesus was the messiah. Said to have occured in Mount Tabor but scholars believe it was Mount Hermon
Upon descending from the mount of transfiguration, Jesus..
freed a demon-possessed boy
Upon arriving to Capernaum, Jesus..
was charged with temple tax. He gives us an example about our civil debts that it is best to give up certain rights than to offend someone.
Three steps aimed at restoring friendships
1. to visit him alone and reveal the failure he has committed, don't publicise it
2. If he rejects, bring one or two witnesses
3. Submit the case to the church
What is the purpose of discipline?
1. to restore the fallen brother
2. maintain purity of the church
3. teach other members that it is not a light thing to sin notoriously
Luke tells us that his ministry in the reign of Judea began...
with the sending of the seventies
In Judea, Jesus taught...
to be a neighbor to others and show practical love
The story of Mary and Martha showed...
True religion not only consists in ministering to those in need. Serving, without communion with Christ is not enough.
From the corded women we learned... (3)
1. She attended the synagogue faithfully
2. Satan is the author of many misfortunes
3. This is a example of a major liberation
Regarding Jesus' ministry in Perea...
It is said he went to the place where John the Baptist was.Huge multitudes followed him and heard him
Entering by the narrow gate represented...
Repentance and faith in Jesus
As the multitude grew larger, Jesus taught them...
The price of discipleship. To put God first, take up the cross and follow him
The three parables of the lost essentially teachers...
the greatness of the mercy of God towards sinners
What does the unfaithful steward teach us?
We must wisely use money, goods and material things to promote the cause of the Kingdom of heaven
The parable of the widow and the unjust judge and that of the Pharisee and tax collector serve to teach us...
To preserve in prayer and to pray with a humble and contrite/repentant spirit
On Jesus' last journey through Perea, he speaks about...
Marriage, divorce, celibacy, and the importance of children
When Jesus arrived at Jerusalem for the third time, he announced...
The main truth of the synoptic gospels is...
that the son of man died in atonement of sin, to redeem us from the curse and satisfy divine justice
During Jesus' time in Jericho, he healed...
two blind men named Bartimaeus.
Christ presents his status as messiah in three dramatic scenes
1. The triumphal entry, fullfilling the prophecy of Zac 9:9
2. The curse of the barren fig tree, representing judgement of Israel
3. The purification of the temple, demonstrating his authority as the Son of God
Jesus told the principal men of the jews where had his authority came from and told them three parables
1. the parable of two sons, the one of the murderous farmers and the parable if the wedding banquet.
Jesus' enemies tried to trap him with words to test him
1. The question of paying tribute to Caesar
2. The question of resurrection
3. The question about the greatest commandment
In Jesus' last public message, Jesus...
denounces the faults of the scribes and pharisees: they were hypocrites, did not fullfill the law. They did boat
The most terrible denunciation of the NT is only recorded in..
Matthew, they are seven ayes of Jesus against the Pharisees
Two phases of his coming
2.. Revelation of Christ to the world
Jesus narrated three parables about the second coming
1. Ten virgins, we must watch and be prepared at all times for his coming
2. Talents, we must devote ourselves to serve
3. Sheep and the kids, Jesus calls himself king and presents general principles by which the Lord will judge
Description of the judgement in his last passage teaches:
1. the judgement of Christ is personal
2. The attitude of a person towards Christ is revealed by his treatment of their followers
3. The judement will have as a consequence the absolute and permanent seperation between the sheep and the goats
Some principals of interpretation of the biblical prophecies are:
1. Not in chronological order
2. Time interval between two prophetic descriptions
3. Prophetic symbol of something of greater significance
4. Some prophets use apocalypitc figures
5. Parallel passages of an obscure passage in the bible shed light on the interpretation
In the year 70 a.d...
Titus took over Jerusalem after 143 in seiege. The return of the hews to Palestine and its control over Jerusalem make us believe that the second coming of Christ is near
The synoptic gosepls dedicate..
a third of their text to the last week of Jesus' life
a 10th part of his last 24 hours
1. redemption and atonement
2. symbol of the new covenant
3. communion with Christ
4. union of the believers with Christ and each other
5. a comemmoration
6. the hope of the return of Christ
Who helped jesus carry the cross
Simon and Cyrene
Three supernature phenomena occured during the death of jesus
1. darkness for three hours
2. the veil was torn
3. earthquake and resurrection of some saints
the period between the resurrection and ascension lasted
40 days, during this time he appeared 10 times
who went to jesus' grave and were accused of bribing the guards
Peter and John
who only explains to wait for the promise of the father
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Mystery of Jesus Semester Exam Questions
Theology 4.2 test
Theology Chapter 21 Test
Bible Test 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Metals + Glass & Window Technologies
Pre-Modern World History: Lecture Terms
U.S History Exam