- This star of many talent (director, producer, writer, singer, actor, dancer) insisted he/she was born on Independence Day.
- Wrote, directed, starred, and produced all of his revues.
- Had very patriotic shows.
- Known for Mythos of Spring. (story form: boy gets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back.)
- Little Johnny Jones (Yankee doodle boy), You're a Grand Old Flag, Over There.
- Huge influence on the lead man in Broadway.
- Wrote original skits for him and his family in vaudeville and minstrel shows.
- Prosperous, frivolous, "mindless"
- Unprecedented economic growth
o Auto, steel, rubber, petroleum, buildings/skyscrapers, Hollywood (silent film, Talkies), Radio, Prohibition, Jazz...
" Huge success and growth in musicals. 1919-1930: largest number of musicals produced than any other time in history. Mostly diversionary in topic. It was pure distraction and entertainment.
" There was a lack of book musicals.
" There was a fascination with the insignificant.
" Musicals: pure musical fluff