1. Alpha blockers (doxazosin, tamsulosin)
- MOA: relax smooth muscle of prostate gland for acute relief of symptoms
- TIMING: acts fast to improve symptoms, but do not decrease size of prostate
- SE: orthostatic hypotension - worse with ED drugs, hypotension
2. 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (finasteride, dutasteride)
- inhibits prostate growth
- do not provide immediate symptom relief - takes 6 months -, but shrink size of prostate for more of a curative impact.
- SE: ED, decreased libido, decreases PSA levels - double levels when monitoring for prostate cancer