Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Slide Set 3 Exam 1 (Methods of Anthropological Investigation)
Terms in this set (26)
Ethnographic fieldwork includes what two types of research?
- Single site research
- Multi site research
Single site research:
- Single community; immersion
- Increasing emphasis on situating the local community in the large historical and global context
- At least one year
Multi site research
- Focus on processes not
contained by traditional social, economic, and political boundaries
- Fieldworkers participate in the daily lives of the people they are studying
Other primary data gathering field methods:
genealogies, in-depth interviews, life histories, surveys
requires large ethnographic databases
written product of fieldwork research
People's descriptions of their values and beliefs are often________
There are discrepancies between statements and behavior:
reactivity (Hawthorne effect)
Challenges of fieldwork include____________________
fieldworkers and the community they are studying have stereotypes that must be overcome
acceptance by the community so that a working relationship is possible
Working with informants:
sometimes people engage in deliberate deception
psychological trauma from being in an alien culture
Year of "Tearoom Trade": Impersonal Sex in Public Places"?
What was the objective of Ethics and Fieldwork Case Study: "Tearoom Trade"?
understand who these men were and what motivated them to seek quick, impersonal sexual gratification
What did Humphreys serve as?
the individual who keeps watch and coughs when a police car stops nearby or a stranger approaches
What did Humphreys do to avoid bias?
secretly followed some of the other men he observed and recorded the license numbers of their cars
Humphreys gained the confidence of some of the men, disclosed his role as scientist___________
and persuaded them to tell him about the rest of their lives and about their motives
Those who were willing to talk openly with him tended to be among__________
the better-educated members of the "tearoom trade"
A year later and carefully disguised, Humphreys appeared at their homes claiming to be a________________________ and interviewed them about their____________________
- health- service interviewer
- marital status, race, job, etc..
Humphrey's findings revealed:
- 54% were married
- 42% were catholic
- 32% self-identified as politically and socially "conservative"
Humphreys declares that__________
closeted men hid behind a moral shield and created a self that was presentable and respectable
Guidelines adopted by the AAA include:
- Not undertaking or continuing research that will be harmful to the host community
- Respecting the wishes of individuals regarding their public identification
Code of Ethical Conduct for Fieldworkers:
- Fieldworkers must obtain the informed consent of people before undertaking work
- Not exploiting individuals or groups for personal gain
- Preserving the integrity of scholarly research and publication
Other sets by this creator
PSY316 Constructive Responses (Exam 1)
PSY 316 Ppt 1 (Exam 1)
Slide set 15 Final Exam (Cultural Survival)
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 5: Control of Microbial Growth
Health Life Insurance Practice Test