5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Although supplied by the university, many professors refused to learn how to use the computer. Others would save data to their hard drive or on floppy disks but would also make a paper copy to file away. Such behavior is an example of ________.
- Which statement regarding status is most accurate?
- The process by which we develop a sense of self referred to as the looking glass self was developed by _______.
- Bob's football coach is a very important influence in his life. Many of Bob's actions are attempts to win the approval of his coach. Mead would suggest that the coach is one of Bob's _______.
- In 1906 sociologist William Sumner made the comment, One's own group is the center of everything, and all others are scaled and rated with reference to it. This statement is most aligned with the concept of ________.
- a Ethnocentrism
- b Significant others
- c Status provides the guidelines for how we are to act and feel.
- d Charles Horton Cooley
- e Cultural lag
5 Multiple choice questions
- Female; associate editor
- Status symbol
- The ability to take the role of another
- Unemployed men are more likely to commit spousal abuse than employed men.
5 True/False questions
What term applies to the stages people pass through from birth to death, beginning with childhood and concluding with the older years? → The life course
In Amsterdam a 21-year old prostitute is scantily clothed exhibiting her attributes in a storefront, smiling at potential patrons as they walk by. Based on this mental image, which statement best describes what is in progress? → This is an example of social interaction.
Traditionally, statuses men occupy (father, husband) are given greater prestige than those occupied by women (mother, wife). This awarding of privilege and prestige to one group while denying it to the other is called _______. → Social inequality
Why did Mario Brajuha refuse to turn over his research notes to the authorities, even when subpoenaed? → He wanted to protect his respondents
Frank is the son of a middle class family. He took the family car without permission last night, returning home at 3 AM with the smell of alcohol on his breath. It is most likely, based on the research of Kohn, that the next day Frank's parents will _______. → A driver signaling a right turn with his direction signals