Upgrade to remove ads
GEOG 200 CHAP. # 02
Terms in this set (64)
1. Which of the following states is not officially part of this realm?
2. The Soviet Union consisted of _____________ Soviet Socialist Republics.
3. The former Soviet Union dissolved in _____ .
4. Which of the following is not an ex-Soviet, Central Asian Republic?
5.Most of the population of Russia is found in the:
western part of the country
to describe an inland climate that is remote from the moderating influences of large water bodies.
7. Which of the following is true?
Climate refers to long term average conditions.
8. The majority of Russia falls within the humid cold climate region. In the Köppen-Geiger classification scheme, this is signified by the letter:
9. The vegetation on a higher-latitude treeless plain (mostly mosses, lichens, and sparse grasses) is known as:
10. The coniferous forest vegetation found to the south of tundra is known as:
11. Persistently frozen ground is known as:
12. The mountain chain in west-central Russia that is sometimes regarded as the "boundary" between Europe and Asia is known as the:
13. The _____ Mountains lie in the corridor between the Black and Caspian seas.
14. __________ was responsible for building a new Russian capital on the doorstep of Finland during the eighteenth century.
Peter the Great
15. The movement of the headquarters of the Russian Empire to St. Petersburg allowed that city to become a(n):
16. The Russian Revolution of 1917:
saw the overthrow of the last czar
17. The movement of the Soviet capital from Petrograd (St. Petersburg) to Moscow:
was symbolic of a new period in Russian political and economic history, whose chief architect was V. I. Lenin
18. Which of the following is not found in Russia west of the Urals?
the Kuznetsk Basin (Kuzbas)
19. The number of Federal Administrative Districts within the Russian Federation is:
20. Which Russian republic fought a (still unresolved) war for independence from Moscow during the 1990s:
21. Distance decay effects are greatest between Moscow and:
22. The change from 89 "Regions, Republics, and other entities" into seven new administrative units occurred in _____.
23. The population of Russia is:
decreasing at an increasing rate.
24. A country's core area
displays all of the characteristics listed above
25. St. Petersburg:
was named Leningrad during Soviet times
26. Russia's core area:
incorporates the Central Industrial Region, at the heart of which lies the city of Moscow
27. Which of the following Russian manufacturing region is located in the Eastern Frontier:
28. The Volga River is central to which important subregion?
29. Russia's railroad network radiates outward from Moscow, thereby providing the city with a high degree of:
30. The Povolzhye has been helped by all of the following except the:
coal deposits that gave rise to the Kuzbas complex
31. The __________ form(s) the eastern limit of the Russian Core:
32. Which three manufacturing regions form the anchors of the Russian Core Area?
Central Industrial, Volga, Ural
33. This Caspian Sea-facing Russian Republic contains numerous culturally discrete communities, is located next to the Chechen Republic, and its economy is dominated by agriculture and oil:
34. The dominant religion in Chechnya is:
35. The capital of the Chechen Republic is:
36. The Transcaucasian Transition Zone includes all of the following except:
37. The former Soviet Socialist Republic on the Black Sea containing the birthplace of Stalin is:
38. This former Soviet Socialist Republic borders Turkey and remains in conflict with an oil-rich neighboring state over its exclave of Nagorno-Karabakh:
39. Armenia is engaged in territorial conflict with which other former Soviet Socialist Republic?
40. This exclave of Armenia is 75 percent Armenian, but is located within Muslim Azerbaijan.
41. Which of the following cities is the leading oil center in Azerbaijan?
42. The Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008 was aimed at the autonomous region of:
43. This former Soviet Socialist Republic contains the oil city of Baki (Baku) and its people have ethnic affinities with Iran.
44. Which of the following people look across their border to Iran because they share a common Shi'ite Muslim faith?
45. The territory in dispute between Azerbaijan and Armenia is:
46. The Russian port of ______ is kept open year-round by warm water from the North Atlantic.
47. The new pipeline opened in 2006 between Baki (Baku) and Ceyhan carries Caspian Sea oil to a new terminal located on the:
48. The Kuzbas:
A) is located near the city of Novosibirsk
B) is also called the Kuznetsk Basin
C) lies in the Eastern Frontier region
D) contains both iron and coal deposits
E) all of the above
E) all of the above
49. The industrial area just to the east of the Kuzbas is centered near:
50. The most important oil and gas reserves in Russia's Far East are centered on:
91. The former Leningrad is today again called __________.
92. The USSR collapsed in the year ___________.
93. The czar principally responsible for trying to modernize Russia and make it a European-style state was __________.
Peter the Great
94. South Ossetia, Abkhazia, and Ajaria are all located in the Transcaucasian country of _____.
95. Development in the Povolzhye has been sparked, in part, by the development of the __________ Canal, which links to the Black Sea.
96. The eastern terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railroad is __________.
97. The Eastern Frontier's leading industrial region is the __________.
Kuzbas (Kuznetsk Basin)
98. The region of Russia known as "Russia's freezer" and "sleeping land" is __________.
99. A territorial dispute between Japan and Russia that is holding up a peace treaty between the two countries involves four tiny islands that belong to the _______________ chain.
100. The territory south of the Russian border between the Black and the Caspian Seas is known as _______________.
101. Russia's territorial size is such that it encompasses ___ timezones.
102. Which of the following is not currently an independent country that was once part of the Soviet Union?
103. What was a prime motivation for Russia's colonial expansion in the late 19th and early 20th centuries?
Access to warm-water ports.
110. The "Near Abroad" refers to ________________.
Russia's sphere of influence.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 4 Geography
Chapter 5 geography
GEOG 200 CHAP. # 01
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Module 2 World Geography
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
chemistry ch 1