5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What was the "principal aim" of the Tokugawa shoguns? (2 things)
- What were two big problems with Christian missionary work in Japan?
- Where did the people who were under samurai stand in the social heirarchy? (highest to lowest)
- Why did the economy boom during the Tokugawa period?
- How did the Portuguese first land on the Japanese island?
- a stabilize realm, prevent more civil war
- b peasants, artisans, merchants
- c translations, wary government
- d agriculture
- e blown off course
5 Multiple choice questions
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi
- started interfering w/ local affairs, destroyed temples to build churches
- Farmer's son, became military commander
5 True/False questions
What were Tokugawa's origins? → no
What does the name "Toyotomi" mean? → "abundant provider"
Who was supposed to be the supreme leader, but actually played a ceremonial role? → emperor
How were the ruling elites ranked? (What philosophy?) → confucian
What did Hideyoshi do to increase his territory? → castles