Upgrade to remove ads
Mastering Biology Hw 6
Terms in this set (24)
1. Which of these structures contains a male gametophyte?
2. In pines, the female gametophyte contains _____, each of which contains a(n) ______.
Archegonia .... Egg
3. In pines, an embryo is a(n) _______.
4. In pine trees, pollen grains get to the ovule via the _________.
5. Which of these statements is true about the gametophyte tissue that surrounds the pine embryo?
It functions as a haploid food reserve
6. Of the four haploid cells produced by a pine cone's megasporocyte (megaospore mother cell), ______ survive(s).
7. In the pine, microsporangia form ______ microspores by ________.
Haploids .... Meiosis
8. Indicate whether each description applies to a specific group gymnosperms or to all gymnosperms.
Have palmlike leaves
Only one living species today
Leaves have fanlike appearance
Includes 3 genera that vary greatly in appearance
All species produce cones
Seeds do not form in an enclosed structure
Undergo alternation of generations
9. The diagram below illustrates the life cycle of one type of gymnosperm, a conifer. Indicate which structures in the life cycle are haploid or diploid (using pink labels), & label the processes (using blue labels) and stages (using white labels).
10. What are the products of meiosis in the life cycle of a seed plant?
Megaspores or Microspores
11. In which of the following pairs do the structures play comparable roles in the plant and animal life cycles?
A plant sporophyte and an adult animal
12. Which of the following contains multiple gymnosperm ovules?
13. Which of the following is found inside a pollen grain?
The Male Gametophyte
14. What are the main components of a mature gymnosperm seed?
15. Can you identify the ploidy of different structures?
The sporophyte generation is DIPLOID
The embryo is DIPLOID
The gametophyte generation is HAPLOID
The megaspores is HAPLOID
16. After fertilization, the ovule develops into a seed. Can you match the parts of the ovule with the corresponding parts of the seed?
After fertilization of the ovule, the MEGASPORE develops into the food supply.
After fertilization of the ovule, the INTEGUMENT develops into the seed coat.
After the fertilization of the ovule, the FERTILIZED EGG develops into the embryo.
17. Ovules are found within structure _______.
18. Which of these is unique to flowering plants?
19. The male gametophytes of flowering plants are also referred to as _______.
20. In flowering plants the integuments of the ovule develop into a(n) _____.
21. A carpel is composed of ______.
Stigma, Style, and Ovary
22. A stamen consist of _____.
Anther & Filament
23. In angiosperms, pollination is the transfer of pollen grain to the ____ of a flower on the same plant or another plant of the same species.
24. Select the correct statement describing the life cycle of angiosperms.
Double Fertilization in the life cycle of seed plants results in the production of a diploid zygote and a triploid endosperm nucleus.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Masteringbio chapter 29 study
Ch 31 Hw
Campbell Chapter 28: Mastering Biology Questions
Mastering Biology Chapter 33
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Botany Lab Final
Bi 152 Lecture Exam Unit 3
IB 103 final
Bio 242 Exam 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
ARTS 1301 Q10
ARTS 1301 Q9
ARTS 1301 Q8
ARTS 1301 Q7
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Genetics Final (Exam 3)
bio exam 3
biology exam #2 key