Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (48)
1. Cameron has a cup of coffee every morning, smokes 10 cigarettes a day, and has a beer with dinner. This is an example of
2. Which of the following would NOT be an example of substance use, as opposed to substance intoxication, substance abuse, or substance dependence?
3. In terms of substance-related disorders, the word addiction is most closely associated with
4. A person who is physiologically dependent on a drug will experience
all of the above:a. tolerance to the effects of the drug.
b. withdrawal symptoms if the drug is withdrawn. c. Psychological craving
5. The condition called delirium tremens, also known as the DTs, involves hallucinations and body tremors during withdrawal from
6. The need for increased amounts of a substance to achieve the desired effect, and the diminished effect with continued use of the same amount, is referred to as
7. According to the DSM, one of the features of amphetamine intoxication is
8. All of the following substances are classified as opiates EXCEPT
cocaine (is codeine, heroin, and morphine)
9. Both morphine and codeine are analgesics, which means that they
relieve pain and produce euphoria
10. Which of the following is an example of alcohol's effects on brain functioning?
impaired motor coordination
11. All of the following are symptoms of withdrawal from alcohol EXCEPT
12. Consequences of long-term excessive drinking include
any or all of these: liver disease and/or pancreatitis, cardiovascular disorders, brain damage
13. Which of the following is an accurate statement about alcoholism?
The factors that determine a drinker's susceptibility to alcoholism are not yet known.
14. You have just heard about a situation in which someone who was drunk vandalized a building and assaulted a security guard. From your knowledge of abnormal psychology, you are aware that although alcohol does not cause aggressive behavior, it may
impair the ability to consider the consequences of acting impulsively.
15. Which of the following is the definition of anxiolytic?
Sets with similar terms
Abnormal Psych Chapter 10
Abnormal: Chapter 10 (substance)
Abnormal Psych ch 10
Sets found in the same folder
Other sets by this creator
How does the maturation process explain why a 4-month-old infant cannot be taught to walk?
According to research, which of the following are we most likely to experience after sleep deprivation? a. Night terrors. b. Sleep apnea. c. Manifest content dreams. d. Narcolepsy. e. REM rebound.
If you decided to continue in the field of psychology, what type of psychologist would you want to be? Why?
What is the difference between convergent and divergent thinking? Give specific examples.
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 19 mam phys
What are some medications for OCD?
*Experiences of unreality or detachment from one's surroundings*
For individuals who had not been previously depressed, research studies indicate that a marital separation or divorce resulted in
Bolstering parents' and teachers' skills at nurturing children's achievements and resulting self-esteem best illustrates what?