Upgrade to remove ads
MT3 chapters 8-12
Terms in this set (7)
Define Sports Massage
a SPECIFIC term that describes the SCIENCE and ART of applying massage and related techniques in order to ENSURE THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF THE ATHLETE and ENHANCE ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
What are the 2 very important purposes of sports massage?
to ensure the health and wellbeing of the athlete.
to enhance the athletic performance
What are the 5 ways Sports Massage enhances the functional performance of the athlete?
1. FACILITATES MOVEMENT
2. optimizes positive performance
3. minimizes negative performance
4. DECREASES potential for INJURY
5. supports soft tissue
How does Sports Massage "optimize positive performance?"
1. Promotes healthy muscle and connective tissue by moving metabolites out of tissue.
2. Facilitates normal range of motion
3. Lubricates joints for fluid and pain free movement
4. Promotes mental calm, alertness and concentration "Our Sympathetic Nervous system is always so active, so high. Jostling is a good technique to help loosen anxiety" -Jim M
What are the NEGATIVE FACTORS Sports Massage can MINIMIZE?
1. Dysfunctional muscle and connective tissue
2. Restricted Range of Motion
4. Anxiety "A lot of athletes are very type A personality. There was one guy that had a bad race and was cursing at me when he got on the table." -JM
How does Sports Massage DECREASE the potential for INJURY?
1. Routinely monitors tissue condition and can asses changes quickly.
2. Prevents abnormal tissue from affecting other musculature/tissue
3. Can locate and treat trouble spots before they become injuries
What are the IMPORTANT PRIMARY PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS of massage?
1. Functional separation of muscle and connective tissue. with MyoFascial Release techniques, normalization of connective tissue
2. improved circulation
3. Muscular and General Relaxation
4. Formation of Strong? mobile scar tissue
5. deactivation of trigger points. which limit ROM.
6. Increase mental alertness and clarity
You might also like...
Iontophoresis/Soft Tissue Mob
strength and conditioning week 4
Trachea & Lung Slides
Anatomy SEMESTER 1 FINAL CHAP 3: Cells & Tissue
Other sets by this creator
Shoulder girdle actions, Agonist Muscles. All have…
MT3 January 2014
MT3 chpt 1-7 practical