Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
TEACHING OUR PT
Terms in this set (23)
ANA code of ethics standard 5B
the RN employs strategies to promote health and a safe environment
why do we teach?
to obtain an outcome that is clear and measurable.
who do we teach?
pt & family
what the pt already knows - "what have they told you?"
lack of knowledge . . .
must be MEASURABLE, cannot say "pt understands"
teaching learning principles
pt centered - the learners personal characteristics & experiences influence learning potential.
timing - the learners mental status & readiness for learning influences what is to be learned and the rate of learning (time).
readiness - learning is more meaningful when the learner participates in setting learning goals.
active involvement - active involvement of the learner is essential if maximum learning is to occur.
feedback & repetition - putting the learned material to immediate use increases retention of learning.
relation - relating appropriate material to be learned with what the reader already know facilitates learning.
motivation - learning is facilitated when the learner is allowed to learn at his own rate of ability with objectives that are reasonable & realistic to motivate him to further accomplishment.
self efficacy -reinforcement of learning, rate, amount of retentions and degree of behavior changes are facilitated by rewards of recognition, praise & peer status.
what to know before pt teaching?
- what needs to be taught
- are there any teaching barriers
- when is the best time to teach
infant teaching based on developmental capacity
- hold firmly, smile & speak softly to convey trust
- have infant touch diff. textures
adolescent teaching based on developmental capacity
- help pt learn about feelings and need for self-expression
- use teaching as a collaborative activity
- allow pt to make decisions about health and health promotion
- use problem solving to help pt make choices
young/middle adult teaching based on developmental capacity
- encourage participation in teaching by setting mutual goals
- encourage independent learning
- offer information so adult understands effects of health problems
older adult teaching based on developmental capacity
- teach when alert & rested
- involve adult in discussion or activity
- focus on wellness and person's strength
- use approaches that enhance pt reception of stimuli when they have a sensory impairment
- keep teaching sessions short
toddler teaching based on developmental capacity
- play teach
- relevant picture books
- simple words
preschooler teaching based on developmental capacity
- use role play, imitation & play to make learning fun
- encourage questions and offer simple explanations
- encourage children to learn together through pictures & short stories about how to perform personal hygiene
school-age child teaching based on developmental capacity
- teach psychomotor skills needed to maintain health
- offer opportunities to discuss health problems and answer questions
domains of learning
memorization, recall, ability to analyze & application
demonstration & evaluation
discussion of feelings, teaching r/t fears, concerns & attitudes
- can RN & pt agree on goal
- what materials are needed
- where will teaching occur
- who will be taught; pt consent PRN
- how will you teach pt or group of pt
- what domain is the pt in
- cognitive domain may require picture, explanations or models
- affective domain should include discussion
- psychomotor should include active participation
the nurse needs to teach an elderly pt how to give a self-injection. the nurse would need to assess which of the following before starting to teach?
a. necessity of this pt receiving this medication
b. pt understanding of why they are receiving the injection
c. pt feelings about receiving the injection*
d. pt fine motor skill with a needles & syringe
Sets with similar terms
Theory: Client Education
week 9 122 teaching and learning
Ch. 25 Patient Education
Chapter 26: Teaching & Learning
Other sets by this creator
212 Respiratory - Chest Trauma
Genetics - Basic
Ch. 16 - Disorders of Immune Response
Other Quizlet sets
Quiz 2 Reading
Euro, Chapter 19
bible midterm exam
Module 3 Job order Costing Notes and Qui…