Upgrade to remove ads
Marriage & Family Midterm
Terms in this set (16)
What are two lies that sabotage our relationships?
- I need this person to be complete
- If this person needs me, I'll be complete
Name the four steps to becoming whole
- Heal your hearts
- Take off your mask
- Sit in the driver's seat
- Rely on God
List the three R's every family teaches
Name & describe the eight roles people play in families from your reading & notes
- Problem-solver: Always ready with a solution
- Victim: Pulling compassion and sympathy from others
- Rescuer: Diving into situations for somebody else's safety.
- Comedian: Ready with a joke for comic relief
- Mediator: Serving as a bridge between others
- Confronter: Facing reality and calling it as you see it
- Healer: Administering healing to emotional wounds
- Secret-keeper: Holding a confidence tight and safe
What 3 things should women know about men?
- Men are not as in touch with their emotions as we are.
- Men are more independent than we are
- Men are more abstract than we are
What 3 things should men know about women?
- Women are not as independent as we are
- Women focus on the here-and-now more than we do
- Women are not as competitive as we are
What does the book say about men and women being friends? What is your opinion?
- Men and women can enjoy friendship together, but not at the same level they do with friends of the same sex
Name 3 types of friendship described by Aristotle
- Friendship based on utility
- Friendship based on pleasure
- Perfect friendship
What are friends of the road?
Equally intense, equally necessary, equally worth cultivating and treasuring as the long-lasting versions
What are friends of the heart?
Long-lasting pals who know us sometimes better than we know ourselves
Name 3 main reasons friendships fail
- A major change
Describe the 5 steps to mend broken friendships
- count the cost
- make meaningful contact
- forgive as best you can
- Diagnose the problem
- rebuild respect
List and explain the 7 ways "Smart Love" works.
1. Seeks a good match
2. Pays attention to values
3. Doesn't try to change others
4. Doesn't try to change oneself
5. Doesn't play games
6. Doesn't run from conflict
7. Knows the bottom line
What are 2 lies people want to believe about sex?
1. We can't do anything to tame our animal instincts
2. Having sex will bolster our self image by making us more desirable or more confident
List some of things women may hope to gain out of a sexual relationship?
- Sex is a barometer of your worthiness
- Leads to relational connectedness
- I am desirable
What are 3 things a man may hope to gain out of a sexual relationship?
- "Am i capable"
- sex is power, performance, an achievement
- A numbers game, how many with who
Sets with similar terms
Sexual Health Exam 2
Gender Communication Test 3
Gender Psychology Exam 2
Other sets by this creator
Ch. 1 Vocab
TEST #2 TERMS
Bio 111 Vocab: test 1
Chem: Ch. 4 & 5 - Polyatomic ions
Other Quizlet sets
SPTE 110 Sid Kenyon Exam 1
3.1 MENDELIN LAWS OF INHERITANCE
Legal Studies - Topic 1