Upgrade to remove ads
People and Groups to know: Exam #2
Terms in this set (64)
- means "the Lord saves"
- one of the twelve spies of canaan
- succeeded as the leader of the Israelites after Moses' death
- one of the twelve spies sent to canaan
- asks Joshua for land after conquest
- given land in Judah
- promises marriage of daughter to whoomever conquers the land of debir from giants
- mean "broad"
- woman who lived in Jericho in the promised land and helped the Israelites capture the city
- red cord was tied outside window built into wall so that her home would be spared
- means "troubles"
- stole goods from a city that the Lord handed over to the Israelites
- all the loot was promised to the Lord
- stole = he was stoned
- a judge from Judah
- nephew of Caleb
- marries cousin, because whoever took the land would marry the daughter
- scared to ask uncle for land
- a judge from Benjamin tribe
- left handed.. = bad fighter
- escapes in toilet but leaves idols
- judge from Manasseh tribe
- angel of the Lord appears to while he is threshing wheat in wine press = scared of Midianites
- he was the youngest in family and the weakest but angel greets him "hello mighty warrior"
- asked God for two mirracles to prove that He was with him in the form of the wet/dry fleece
- attackes Midianites at night with few warriors and lamps
- in the confusion the enemy kills themselves and the Lord delivers the Israelites over the midianites
- headstrong murderous son of Gideon
- illegitimate child (born of concubine who lived in Shechem)
- he tried to secure his power by killing all his brothers
- eventually killed when a woman drops a millstone from a tower on his head and is fatally injured
- orders one of his soldiers to kill him to protect his masculine reputation
- judge from Gad
- mother was a prostitute (doesn't know who is daddy)
- leads israelites in battle against Ammon
- in exchange for victory he promises to sacrifice the first thing that comes out of his house and ends up sacrificing his daughter
- judge from Dan
- he was a Nazarite = no drinking, no touching dead bodies, and not allowed to cut hair
- given immense strength that allowed him to kill lots of philistines
- falls in love with Delilah(philistine woman) and she conspires with philistines in trying to defeat Samson
- he eventually lets her cut his hair, and the philistines are then able to capture him
- prays to God to allow him to have strength back one last time and then is able to pull pillars town inside philistine temble that causes it to collapse
- kills samson and the philistines inside
- Ruth means "considerate friend"
- Naomi means "pleasant"
- Naomi is an israelite women whose husband and two sons died
- Ruth was a wife to one of her sons and chose to stay with Naomi despite Naomi telling her that she should find a new husband
- There was a famine (Ruth and Naomi go back to Israel) and Ruth scourers Boaz's fields for leftover to provide for both of them.
- Boaz was kind and gave her food and water when she needed
- He ended up buying Ruth husbands land and evenutally marrying Naomi
- means "his strength"
- he left the edge of his field for the poor
- gives ruth extra rations and has compassion for foreigner
- Ruth offers herself as concubine
- means "favor" from Ephraim
- no children/infertile
- promises the lord that she will make her child a nazarite if she conceives a child
- the Lord provides
- means "God hears"
- Doorkeeper at shiloh for "tabernacle"
- Elis sons- promiscuous, stealing
- Samuel called instead
- Ark taken- Eli and sons die
- Dagan is the fish god and he bows before the ark
- Ark returned to lost and found
- Samuel is last judge giving decrees
- means "asked for it" Benjamin
- wanted king, tall charismatic
- appointed King at Gilgal
- delivers from philistines
- fear being overthrown
- disobeys and sacrifices
- harmful spirit
- hunted son-in-law
- "Beloved" Judah
- shepherd/armor bearer and harpist
- kills Goliath and slays 10 thousand
- Marries Michal and befriends Jonathan
- Unites tribes under God
- avoids Saul in desert
- anointed twice
- attacks Canaanites for Philistines
A giant that David slays in battle with a sling shot
- Sauls son
- blameless, 11000 flocks
- basically a perfect dude, but Satan and God get in a contest that screws Job over
- Job has to endure tough times while being faithful to God
- the "the accuser"
- roams looking to accuse
- cannot accuse Job blameless
- "serves because gets favor"
3 attacks: flocks, children, and health
- means "He's my God
- alrighty is beyond reach
- Lord does not have to answer you for your suffering
- Job's friend
Leviathan-destroy unity (a sea monster referenced in Job)
Behemoth- unruly anger (huge monstrous creature)
- means "lord if father"
- General for David
- kills general of northern tribes
- fights battles until about to win
- keeps David in line
A levite who the Lord struck down for touching the Ark
- means "gift"
- instead of building God's house God will build your house and your son will build God's house
- Your son will be my son
- Nathan was a prophet for David
- Wife of Uriah the Hittite Soldier
- David did not go to fight
She was bathing for purity and David saw her naked and ended up sleeping with her
- David kills her husband because she is pregnant
- means "from the mouth of shame
- the crippled son of Jonathan
- David provides for him out of his love for Jonathan as a friend
- David's son
- rapes sister Tamar
- killed by brother
- "Fathers well being"
- rebels against David and takes his concubines
- heeds bad advice
- killed by Joab under Oak Tree
-"YHWH" is my lord
- greedy for throne
- killed by brother
- Lord angry with Israel
- Benefit without contributing
- census of Israel and Judah for tax and war
- "I cry out"
- Jerusalem Altar built to stop plague
- book end in hope
- prophet might guide if you cry out
- king might interned if you cry out
- lord might hear if you cry out
- secure kingship
- Soloman ask the lord for Wisdom and the Lord blesses him with the discernment to govern and numerous children
- Build the lords temple
- "Lord is brother"
- Prophet of Shiloh
- Ahijah tears 10 pieces of new coat
- "If keep my commands... dynasty like David"
- Jeroboam hid from Soloman in Egypt
-"the people spread"
- mother is ammonite
- coronation at sdhechem
-the people of Israel asked him to "lighten our yoke"
- he didn't listen to the advice of the elders and the 10 northern tribes rebelled against him
- worship many deities
"the people dispute"
- 1st king of Northern Israel
- made golden calves at Bethel and Dan
- Non levite priests
"lord is father"
- future king becomes sick
- wife of jeroboam disguised
- 10 loaves to blind Ahijah at Shiloh
- Son dies when she crosses threshold
- general leading revolt
- moves capital to Samaria
- most wealthy king of Israel
- oppressed Moab
- Ivory palaces
"where is the ruler"
From Sidon, wife of arab
- temple for Baal
- killed prophet of Lord
- opposed by Obadiah and Elijah
husband of Jezebel and portrayed as wicked and evil for following other deities and having prophets of the lord killed
"Lord is my God"
- no rain vs Baal rides on clouds
- the lord lights wood on fire, but Baal does nothing
- Widow in Sidon: oil and flour do not run out
"who is the like the Lord"
- 400 prophets tell ahab to go
- "Israel without shepherd"
-Lord wants you to go and die
- Lying spirit in most of prophets
- Ahab diets but Jehoshaphat survives
- "lord judges"
- removed sanctuaries of other deities
- levites taught laws of God
spared death when Ahab was not
- might coalition of Moab/Ammon
- listen to prophets
- fell through lattice
- not seek YHWH
"lord of flies"
- Elijah prophesied his date
- army sent to kill
- "If I am a man of God"
- fire falls on fifty soldiers twice
"Lord Lifts" Israel
Mesha of Moab revolts
Army without water
Dry streambed > Edoms water
Red stream > see blood
Enslaved israelite girl> news of Elisha
7 dips in Jordan> leprosy cured
Extra money/clothes> leprosy on Gehazi
Stick> lent axe floats
Extra money/clothes> leprosy
Son of storm (syria)○ Prayer> Eyes see chariots of God
Prayer> blindness on army
Sound > army flees "chariots"
4 Lepers> Famine into feasting
Story> Shunamite family restored
Jehoahaz- "Lord Grasps" >israel
Hazael for Syria
had Jezreel, Lo-Ruhamah(Not loved), and Lo-something (not my people)
Popular name meaning the lord will be God
"afflicting the LORD" >Judah
"Lord gives" > Judah
"Lord gives" > Judah
"The people dispute" > Israel
"Priest" silences prophet
"salvation" > Israel
collector of the people
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Freemyer BIL-101 IWU Exam 2 Concepts to know
Freemyer BIL-101 IWU Exam 2 Dates to Know
Freemyer BIL-101 IWU Exam 2 Places to know what ha…
Freemyer BIL-101 IWU Old Testament Terms to Define
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Biblical Allusions 1
Religion Final Study Guide
Study Guide (people, places, vocabulary)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Role of Enzymes and the Digestive System
Physiology of Cardiovascular and Respira…
Urinalysis and the Excretory System