Terms in this set (15)
Students also viewed
Other sets by this creator
Other Quizlet sets
Flickr Creative Commons Images
Some images used in this set are licensed under the Creative Commons through Flickr.com.
Click to see the original works with their full license.
- to light a fire; to light up; to excite; to arouse After "Star Trek" kindled Eddie's interest in space travel, he wanted to be an astronaut. People were kindled after the fireworks.
- required or commanded by authority You have no choice in the matter; in this school getting to class is mandatory The law must be followed mandatory.
- that which persistently destroys or harms; strong rival or opponent. Herb was able to stick to his diet until he faced his nemesis, homemade chocolate cake. A nemesis is also known as your enemy.
- an idea or condition contrary to common sense but probably true Dee is a paradox; she donates thousands to charity but is unbelievable stingy with friends. The paradox between your friend is real friends laugh at you while fake ones help.
- occurring after a person's death Russell was awarded the poetry prize posthumously, just two weeks after his untimely death. An old man won the lottery but altered posthumous after a few weeks.
- childish; immature; juvenile Craig's puerile antics make us wonder if he'll ever grow up and act his age. Nick is puerile because he laughs when someone says poop.
- winding; twisting; indirect What twists and turns of tortuous red tape we had to go through in order to get a parade permit! Tornadoes are really tortuous.
- wordy; using too many words Needless words made Lee's verbose report an awful bore. Really talkative people are verbose.
- having a big appetite; very eager; greedy Big Al, known for his voracious appetite, can eat half a dozen pizzas by himself. The T-Rex was a voracious creature.
- to pull back; to take back The suspect retracted his statement of innocence when the D.A. offered him immunity. I retracted my hand as I was cocking my gun.
- sloppy; untidy; careless Cal's room is neat as a pin, but his slovenly sister Sal's room is a mess. Slovenly people tend to be unsuccessful.
- to yield; to die After sticking to his diet all day, Tom finally succumbed to fudge cake a la mode. Most people succumb after going on a diet.
- to disprove; to prove wrong Liz did her best to refute Amy's story, but she was never able to prove Amy wrong. Pople refute to listen to elders as they grow up.