POP MUSIC TEST 2
Terms in this set (25)
-Describe the business model of the Brill Building
- songwriting teams would compete to see who could have their songs recorded next, the producer was at the center of the process
-Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound"
- famous producer - would use many instruments under monophonic track, lots of reverb, layers of vocals and strings
-What were the two youth markets that emerged in the 60s and what characteristics defined them?
- young adults (folk music, more cultural appeal)
- current teens (teen idols, dance music rock n roll)
-How did the role of the music producer change with the Brill Building?
- the producer was at the center of the recording process, not the performers
-Who were the regular studio musicians in Los Angeles, Detroit (Motown), and Memphis (Stax) during this period?
- wrecking crew (hal blaine, larry knetchel, carole kaye, glen Campbell, tommy Tedesco)
-Identify some of the cultural changes that took place in America regarding civil rights, women's rights, entertainment, and politics in the 1960s.
- civil rights movement, Africans fighting against discrimination
- the feminist movement, women felt constrained by traditional homemaker duty
- FM radio emerges as home music for hippie counterculture
- growth in youth culture in politics
-Did the Beatles start off performing original music? Who were their early influences?
- no, they started off performing elvis, buddy holly, first wave rock n rollers
-What was the Beatles first breakthrough television performance in the US?
-performance on ed Sullivan show brought huge attention to the group
-How did the Beatles lyrical tone shift from early hits like "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" to "Eleanor Rigby" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" later in the 1960s?
- lyrics began by talking about teenage love, but grew into talking about the issues in the world
-What was the "British Invasion?"
- invasion of the beatles, with their long hair and suits coming into America
-The Rolling Stones early influences and parallels to the Beatles
- adopted the brash rebellious image
-What are some of the ways that bands like the Kinks and the Who able to build on rhythm and blues roots and pop but with a more aggressive approach?
- took influence from blues and pop for rhythm and sound, but took more ambitious aggressive approach to lyrics
-What did Bob Dylan do that prompted uproar amongst folk purists?
- switched to a more electric sound
-What was the powerful nickname that The Who used to define their musical style?
- maximum R&B
-What musical influences did Brian Wilson draw from in creating the sonic landscape for "Pet Sounds"?
- black doo wop, driving rock n roll (chuck berry), wall of sound & the feel of rubber soul
-Did Berry Gordy want the music of Motown to be covered by white artists?
- no, he wanted the originals to be acceptable to white listeners
-Who were some representative artists of the Chicago and Memphis soul sound?
- Curtis Mayfield - Chicago / booker t (stax records) - Memphis
-How did James Brown's music influence the Black Pride movement?
- racial pride in browns music was valued in black pride black community
-How did Sly and the Family Stone's musical and lyrical focus from their earlier hits ("Stand" "Everyday People) to their work in the early 1970s (There's a Riot Goin' On)?
- influenced dance and funky music, groovy movement among artists
-What is "Blaxploitation"?
- films that offered perspective on African American life, made outside of Hollywood
-George Clinton built on the business examples of which two artistic models?
- Berry GORDY and James brown
-What was the original central narrative theme of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? Why
was it dropped and what did it become?
- central theme of growing up in Liverpool, grew into the band assuming the fictional role of sgt peppers lonely hearts club band
-What is one of the most important and influential aspects of Sgt. Pepper?
- the album was focused on the entire album as a concept rathe than singles
-What are 3 influential factors in the creation of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"? (What influenced the lyrics and music...)
- lyrics: lewis carol alice and wonderland & use of psychedelic drugs
- music: Spanish bolero & French composer Maurice ravel orchestra piece
-Who were two famous, "guitar heroes" to emerge from the London Scene in the late 1960s?
- eric Clapton & jimi Hendrix
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MLIT 1333 Exam 2
Final Exam: American Popular Music
Music 103 Exam 3 study guide
MUS 307 Exam 2: Set 1 of 2
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
MGMT TEST 2
BUSINESS FOUNDATIONS TEST 3
film lecture test review - comm 1003
Biology Final Exam