6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- the compromise between total representation (headcount wise) for the slave populations within the south or none at all. It was decided that each slave would be counted as three fifths of a person.
- Set transitional movements from colony to statehood. The ordinance demanded that the colony must hold 60,000 inhabitants before becoming a state. No new colonies were permitted to have slaves either. The congress maintained federal rule over the colony until it became a state.
- it provided the acreage of the Old Northwest to be sold and that the proceeds be used to payoff national debt. Broke the land down into 36 plots each a square mile, and every 16th plot was set aside to support public school within the Northwest.
- backcountry farmers, many of whom were war veterans were losing their farmers through mortage foreclosures. Captain daniel Shays led the men and demanded cheap paper money, lighter taxes and a suspension of proerty takeovers. Began to become violent to force a reaction. Washtington eventually dispersed the rebellion.
- The father of the constitution. The was a profound student of governement, who at age thirty-six so effected the formation of the constitution eventually became the father of the constitution.
- people who believed dominant states rights over federal rights would lead to an inable and unproductive governement and believed a strong central government ultimately was the bestr thing for the nation.
6 True/False questions
New Jersey plan → "small-state plan". This provided for equal representation within a unicameral congress by states, regardless of size an dpopulation, as under the existing Articles of Confederation.
Alexander Hamiltion → demanded that the congress call to meet in philadephia for the sole purpose of revising the Articles of Confedration. He was also present at the meeting and held a 5 hour long lecture of the necessity of a super powerful central government.
federalist papers → alexander hamilton, john jay and james madison masterly penned a series of articles for the New York. The articles were written in an attempt to turn the hearts of the anti-federalist new yorkers who would not support the constitution. New York was eventually swayed by the eloquence and persuasiveness of the authors.
Society of Cinncinati → the often ridiculed group of continental army officers who formed a an exclusive hereditary order. The group was founded due to the spead of the idea of social equality and break down of aristocratic society within america.
Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom → "the large-state plane". its essence was that representation in both houses of Congress should be based on population-an arrangement that would naturally give the larger states the adavantage
Articles of Coonfederation → The colonies make shift constitution which tied each separate state in a strong bond of "friendship". Essentially a treaty between 13 different countries with similiar government infrastructure. Articles of Confederation lacked the ability for congress or the president to have any true federal power due to fear of tyranny. Also, the documents set up the 3 branch governement.