Upgrade to remove ads
Growth and Reform Arkansas History 4/4/18
Terms in this set (10)
History of Arkansas entering the Union
- entered as a slave state
- June 15, 1863
What happened during the second half of the 19th century?
- Consisted of change and growth for the US
- Americans moved westward and began to settle on the land between the Midwest and California
Mark Twain and Charles Warner called the era what?
The Gilded Age- meaning covered in gold
What happened to the south after the CIvil War?
The economy barley survived
-the agriculture and landscape had been destroyed
- it's factories and fields burned
What did southern Democrats do after the war?
-Began to recapture control of state governments in the south in the final years of Reconstruction
- began calling themselves "Redeemers"
- Worked to reapply many of the social and economic rules that would make the southern states resemble the Antebellum South
What were the nations 1st big business?
Who became the largest steelmaker in the world?
Who controlled the oil industry?
John D. Rockefeller
Carnegie and Rockefeller became known as what?
"robber barons" of their age
Who started coming after the war?
Immigrants coming for the developmental period
- settled in westward states like AR due to overcrowding in larger cities
- many immigrants from China
- One of the largest groups of new Arkansans was made up of African Americans migrating from other southern states
You might also like...
Tindall and Shi; The South and the West Transforme…
Chapter 12 History
Civil War Terms
Other sets by this creator
Science Semester Test 5/16/18
The First World War 1912-1918; 5/1/18
The Nature of Waves 4/4/18
Waves: Student Lessons 3/28/18