Male- Urethritis, prostatitis, epididymitis, BPH
Female- interstitial cystitis, vaginitis, vulvovaginitis, cervicitis, atrophic vaginitis, urethral trauma
Both gender- Stones, outlet obstruction, tumors, cancer
Chronic, inflammatory bladder condition characterized by Frequency, Urgency, pain (suprapubic, urethral, vaginal, lower abd, things, inguinal, scrotum, ejaculation, dyspareunia) and Incomplete emptying is _____________
It is often mistaken for UTI but there is no pathogens.
- Caffeine, Alcohol, Carbonated Drinks, Nutrasweet, Sugar/ Honey, Corn Syrup, Spicyfoods, Milk/Milk products, Citrus fruits & juices, Tomatoes
- Concentrated Urine, Constipation, Bladder or vaginal infection, atrophic vaginitis
- Start treatment EARLY
1) Bladder diary- identify foods/ triggers for the flare
2) Bland diet (common bladder irritant) = may need to identify the trigger foods first
3) Preservatives & additives
4) TENS unit, stress reduction , kegel exercises, heating pad (suprapubic pain, perinium pain), warm baths, cold packs, biofeedback, Acupressure, accupuncture, hypnosis, Prelief (CAM- sprinkle over trigger food --> decrease acidity of the food)
5) Smoking cessation (nicotine= bladder irritant)
6) PT - pelvic floor strengthening
7) Bladder training (increase time btw void)
dysuria suprapubic pain, odor, incontinence, hematuria, fever, discharge...
did she take all of her medication? what abx?
what time period were the UTIs?
What type exam do we neeed?
- Heart lungs?
Gyn exam if discharge
--> Ddx: STI, vaginitis, urethritis, recurrent cystitis, acute uncomplicated pyelo, IC, GU neoplasm / TB
Plan: c & s
Bactrim DS- one PO BID x3days
pyridium 100-200mg TID x2days max
push fluids, cranberry juice (no evidence to support cranberry juice as anti infective)
F/U: failure of treatment for Uncomplicated UTI 1-2 wks f/u w/ C&S