Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Organelles of Plant Cells
These flashcards focus on the organelles of plant cells. The cards include information such as function, nickname, appearance, and parts of each organelle.
Terms in this set (11)
- Function: stores water
- Function: traps energy from the sun to produce food for the plant cell
- Appearance: green in color because of chlorophyl, which is a green pigment
- Function: provides support and protection to the cell membrane
- Found outside the cell membrane in plant cells
- thin, flexible barrier around a cell; regulates what enters and leaves the cell
- Nickname: "The Control Center"
- Function: holds the DNA
- Nucleolus: dark spot in the middle fo the nucleus that helps make ribosomes
- Function: makes proteins
- Found in all cells, prokaryotic and eukaryotic
- Nickname: "Roads, "ER"
- Function: the internal delivery system of the cell
- Rough ER
- Function: helps make proteins, that's why it has ribosomes
- Appearance: rough appearance because it has ribosomes
- Smooth ER
- No ribosomes
- Function: makes fats or lipids
- Nickname: "The Shippers"
- Function: packages, modifies, and transports materials to different locations inside/outside of the cell
- Appearance: stack of pancakes
- Nickname: "Clean-up Crews"
- Function: to break down food into particles the rest of the cell can use and to destroy old cells
- Appearance: circular, but bigger than ribosomes
- Nickname: "The Powerhouse"
- Function: energy formation > breaks down food to make ATP
- ATP = the major fuel for all cell activities that require energy
- a jellylike fluid inside the cell in which the organelles are suspended
Recommended textbook explanations
Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry
David L Nelson, Michael M. Cox
Lisa A. Urry, Michael L. Cain, Peter V Minorsky, Steven A. Wasserman
Campbell Biology: Concepts and Connections
Eric J. Simon, Jane B. Reece, Jean L. Dickey, Kelly A. Hogan, Martha R. Taylor
Jung Choi, Mary Clark, Matthew Douglas
Sets found in the same folder
Organelles of Animal Cells
Animal Cell Organelles Functions
Animal Cell Organelles
The Cell Cycle, Cell Cycle
Other sets by this creator
Vocabulary Unit 5
Unit 7 to 11 Vocabulary
Unit 11 Vocabulary
Other Quizlet sets
H100 all weekly quizzes
U.S. History - 3.14 Unit Test: Lessons 10-13
what is imiquimod and what is it used for
When anthropologists Bruno Latour and Steve Woolgar observed Jonas Salk in his lab, they observed that some research findings receive more attention than others within the scientific community. They attributed this to:
What includes the spinal cord and brain?
Which could describe the motion of an object? Check all that apply.