5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Yuri Gagarin
- James Earl Ray
- Martin Luther King
- Mao Tse-Tung
- Richard Nixon
- a 1st man in space. Soviet cosmonaut who in 1961 was the first person to travel in space (1934-1968)
- b 1968 and 1972; Republican; Vietnam: advocated "Vietnamization" (replace US troops with Vietnamese), but also bombed Cambodia/Laos, created a "credibility gap," Paris Peace Accords ended direct US involvement; economy-took US off gold standard (currency valued by strength of economy); created the Environmental Protection Agency, was president during first moon landing; SALT I and new policy of detente between US and Soviet Union; Watergate scandal: became first and only president to resign
- c U.S. Baptist minister and civil rights leader. A noted orator, he opposed discrimination against blacks by organizing nonviolent resistance and peaceful mass demonstrations. He was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. Nobel Peace Prize (1964)
- d Hired by unidentified people to assassinate Martin Luther King, Jr. He shot and killed King on the balcony of his hotel in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4, 1968. He was captured two months later in London and sentenced 99 years in jail.
- e Chinese Communist Leader., (1893-1976) Leader of the Communist Party in China that overthrew Jiang Jieshi and the Nationalists. Established China as the People's Republic of China and ruled from 1949 until 1976.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Washington Post reporter who dug up Watergate (Bob Woodward's co-worker)
- Former President of Egypt (1st Arab leader to recognize and make peace with Israel) He was assassinated Oct. 6 1981 for making peace with Israel.
- Leader of the USSR during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Aggressive Soviet leader whose failed gamble of putting missiles in Cuba cost him his job
- 34th U.S. President. 1953-1961. Republican United States general who supervised the invasion of Normandy, Casablanca and the defeat of Nazi Germany,
- 1950s and 60s; communist leader of North Vietnam; used geurilla warfare to fight anti-comunist, American-funded attacks under the Truman Doctrine; brilliant strategy drew out war and made it unwinnable and he guided Vietnam through warfare to emerge as a Communist Nation.
5 True/False questions
Lee Harvey Oswald → He was a serial killer/cult leader who murdered many people, including Sharon Tate. He was sentenced the death penalty, but his sentence was changed to life in prison after Furman v. Georgia, brainwashes alot of youg girls, wants to start a race war, whites vs. blacks, so he can create his own society, starting a murder spree in California
Joseph Stalin → American doctor who invented the polio vaccine in 1953. Polio crippled and killed millions worldwide, and the successful vaccine virtually eliminated the scourage.
Leonid Breshnev → The main negotiator of the peace treaty with the North Vietnamese; secretary of state during Nixon's presidency (1970s).
Awarded 1973 Nobel Peace Prize for helping to end Vietnam War and withdrawing American forces. Heavily involved in South American politics as National Security Advisor and Secretary of State. Condoned covert tactics to prevent communism and facism from spreading throughout South America.,
Jonas Salk → American doctor who invented the polio vaccine in 1953. Polio crippled and killed millions worldwide, and the successful vaccine virtually eliminated the scourage.
Robert Kennedy → He was a Democrat who ran for president in 1968 promoting civil rights and other equality based ideals. He was ultimately assassinated in 1968, leaving Nixon to take the presidency but instilling hope in many Americans.