The 5 different ways to be nominated
1. self announcement
4. direct primary
Types of primaries
direct, open, closed, runoff, nonpartisan
1. printed at public expense
2. list names of all candidates
3. given out only at polls
4. market in secret
When are national elections held
1st Tuesday following 1st Monday in November every even number year
When are state elections held
@ same time as nation elections and/or spring
The importance of money in the election process
Money allows for more campaigning and publicity
Major sources of campaign funding in America
Public funding and private givers
The job of the Federal Election Commission
1. Requires timely disclosure of campaign finance data
2. Place limites on campaign contributions and expenditures
3. Provide public funding for several parts of the Presidential election process
How public opinion is measured
The function of interest groups
1. Stimulate interest in public affairs and allow participation
2. Represent people who share attitudes, not necessarily geography
3. Provide useful and detailed information to government officials
How are interest groups different from PAC's
Interest groups are private and political parties are more public
Persuasive techniques used by interest groups, especially lobbying
propaganda, public protest, lobbying- present expert testimony in congress and use mass media
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.