Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
ENG 102: The Dramatic Vision
Terms in this set (22)
Elements of Drama
- Stage directions, playwright's instructions about actors' expressions, lighting, props, etc.
Conversation between two or more characters.
Single character speaks
- Round Characters
- Flat Characters
- Possess motivation
- Why they act the way they do?
- Change, grow, develop
- Does not undergo any changes or growth
- Moves the plot along, provide characters for protagonists to play off, move against.
Stereotype or Stock Characters
- Usually flat characters, not always
Stock Character Examples
- Stubborn father
- Romantic hero
- Clever male servant
- Dumb blonde
Foil, character "to be compared and contrasted with protagonist".
Comments on or provides narration.
- Exposition or intro
- Complication or development (rising action)
- Crisis or climax
- Falling action
Exposition / intro
Lays out situation, setting, characters
Complication or development (Rising action)
Events, emotions, dialogue that lead to crisis or climax.
Crisis or climax
Moment of greatest tension, action.
- Time of "avoidance and delay".
Denouement or resolution
- Unraveling or tying up of loose ends.
- Mysteries explained
- Conflicts resolved
- Mistakes corrected
- Love or hate overcome
Narrative Point of View
"Speaker of guiding intelligence" that tells the story.
Can pick up on tone by language cues or stage directions.
Characters don't understand implications, motivations, events, but audience does.
- Cultural or universal symbols: crosses
- Phallic symbols: Male power
- Feminine Symbols: indicate fertility
- Contextual: Develop within the story
- Worked with sustained symbolism.
- Almost every character is symbolic of some idea
What does the play say about the human condition? What is its point?
Sets found in the same folder
ENG 102: Chapter 1 & 2
ENG 102: Chapter 3 & 4
ENG 102: Chapter 5 & 6
ENG 102: Symbolism
Sets with similar terms
Lit Terms Short-Story Test (Tues)
English 200 mid term
Other sets by this creator
Study Guide for DEN 120
Study Guide for DEN 115
Other Quizlet sets
marketing test 2 (ch 4,5,8,9)
PH. SCIENCE FINAL EXTRA CREDIT
Standards of Practice Review - 40 hr course