Evolution fcards 3: 1-30
Terms in this set (30)
1. What is taxonomy?
The classification of living things.
2. What is the least specific classification?
3. What is the most specific classification?
4. What does "did king phillip come over from great spain" mean?
It's a acronym for the tree of life.
5. What kingdom is under domain bacteria?
6. What kingdom is under domain archaea?
7. What 4 kingdoms are under domain eukarya?
protista, fungi, plantae, animalia
8. What cell type and number of cells are eubacteria and archaebacteria?
9. What cell structures are present for eubacteria and archaebacteria?
some have flagellum
10. What modes of nutrition are eubacteria and archaebacteria?
autotrophic and heterotrophic
11. What is "significant" about eubacteria (other)?
-bacteria were 1st living things on earth
-existed for 2 bil yrs before 1st eukaryotic cells evolved
12. How do eubacteria and archaebacteria differ?
eubacteria's cell walls are made of peptidoglycan
13. Define each extremophile: thermophile, cryophile, halophile, and acidophile
14. What is the cell type for all 4 kingdoms in eukarya (protista, fungi, plantae, and animalia)?
15. Protista cell structures
cell wall (chitin)
many cellular organelles
16. Protist number of cells
most multicellular, except yeasts
17. Protista mode of nutrition
18. What are fungus-like, plant-like, and animal-like protists?
19. Fungi cell structures
many cellular structures
20. Fungi number of cells
multicellular and uni
21. Fungi mode of nutrition
22. What crucial role do fungi play in food webs?
23. Plantae cell structures
24. Plantae number of cells
25. Plantae mode of nutrition
26. What crucial role do plants play in food webs?
27. Animalia cell structures
28. Animalia number of cells
29. Animalia mode of nutrition
30. What is "significant" about animalia (other)?
last kingdom to evolve on earth with most complex phenotypes