Upgrade to remove ads
SOCI 430 test 4
Terms in this set (11)
1) What are the four phenomena to which "postmodern" refers?
- Economic Globalization
- High Technology
- Service Economy
1) What are the distinguishing characteristics of postmodern theory?
(a new and Contradictory cultural logic)
1) What kind of research methods do postmodernists advocate?
Critical Theory: ideologically based, praxis, and antipositivist
2) What is Riesman's major thesis?
Historical eras of society differ by technology and population growth. this results in them having different needs (different normative characters for different time periods)
Explain how tradition-directed, inner-directed, and other-directed personalities differ and
why the personality or character type changed at different stages of population and technological growth.
What societal sanctions correspond with each personality/character type?
low tech, slow population growth, short life expectancies, = high proportion of young
- people do what "worked in the past" to survive
-Sanction = Shame
Ag tech = pop growth, short life expectancy -> population must disperse.
- old traditions don't work in new territories.
- societies need = people retain cultural/moral values. (morals are internal)
Sanction = Guilt
high tech -> stable population. society becomes cosmopolitan.
- society needs = people become sensitized to the expectations of others.
- Sanctions: Anxiety
3. Describe the social psychology perspective of post-modern culture and social relationships
4. How does today's age of "simulation" differ from the classical era of "counterfeit" and the industrial era of production/reproduction, according to Baudrillard?
-- Counterfeit Era: (CLASSICAL ERA) Used signs (art) to imitate life.
-- Industrial Era
4. What does Baudrillard mean by hyperreal and antimediatory media.
4. How does the antimediatory, omnipresent camera affect our institutions? (BAUDRILLARD)
4. What are the distinguishing features of the postmodern self? (BAUDRILLARD)
4. Why is Baudrillard's theory considered fatalistic?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Sociology Chapter 16
geo101 exam 2
Diverse places: Key words
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Unit 3 (Ch 11-17)
Unit 2 (Ch 6-10)
Unit 1 (Ch 1-5)