Terms in this set (17)
- the outer layer of Earth made of solid rock
- thinnest compositional layer
- has liquid water
- 80% of earth's volume, thick liquid made of rock.
- thickest layer
- contains 65-80% of earth's mass
- has convection currents
- dense center of the earth
- made of nickel and iron
- has 2 parts inner core/ outer core
- Earth's crust and solid upper mantle, broken into tectonic plates
- moves on Asthenosphere
- The solid, plastic layer of the mantle beneath the lithosphere; made of mantle rock that flows very slowly, which allows tectonic plates to move on top of it
Beneath the asthenosphere is the strong lower part of the mantle (from the bottom of the asthenosphere to the earth's core)
A layer of molten(liquid) iron and nickel that surrounds the inner core of Earth
- liquid layer of the earth
A dense sphere of SOLID iron and nickel at the center of Earth
Circular currents in the mantle responsible for the movement of the tectonic plates.
The waves produced by earthquakes that tells us about the earths interior.
- tells us how dense/ think and if liquid or solid
- moves faster through solid than a liquid
Difference between oceanic and continental crust
Oceanic crust is denser than continental crust
4. Outer Core
5. Inner Core
Outer core is the layer made of
inner core(physical) or core(compositional)
Nickel and iron
Core is made of
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Restless Earth Ch 4-1
Layers of the Earth - Jackson MS
Density and the Earth
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Body Process and Organ Systems
Atmosphere Composition & Climate Change
Law of Conservation of Mass and Chemical Reactions
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Rocks and the Rock Cycle
Technology and Engineering