Prenatal nursing interventions - teaching / anticipatory guidance.......CONTINUED
(8) Sodium - blood volume. Sodium attracts fluid, potassium...interferes with cardiac muscle action
(9) Meds - observe renal function - increased clearance of meds, adjust to maintain therapeutic levels
* anticoagulants - if needed, Heparin is used (does not cross placenta) - Coumadin/warfarin is teratogenic. Remember pic!
(10) Fetal surveillance - kick counts, NST, low back pain, pelvic pressure (PTL), ultrasounds for growth
(11) Always auscultate heart rate, sounds, any irregularities, weight gain, edema
(12) Changes in lifestyle, how she copes, support system, network analysis (neighbors, church family, bunco babes, work friends, family)