Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (15)
Which of these developments in Africa was a cause of the other three?
(1) Rival tribal groups fought wars.
(2) The Berlin Conference of 1884 influenced colonial boundaries.
(3) Traditional territories and culture groups were permanently fragmented.
(4) African economies became dependent on the sale of cash crops and raw materials.
Which situation was a result of the 1884 Berlin Conference?
(1) Africa was divided without regard to ethnic groups.
(2) Monarchies were restored throughout Europe.
(3) The slave trade with South America was eliminated.
(4) The League of Nations was formed.
The Berlin Conference in 1884 was significant because it
(1) promoted Belgium as a world power
(2) established rules for the European division of Africa
(3) called for a war against England
(4) ensured ethnic harmony in the Middle East
Which area of the world was most directly affected by the decisions made at the Berlin Conference?
(4) South America
As a result of the Russo-Japanese War, Japan came to be seen by Europeans as
(1) a likely area for colonization
(2) the strongest of the imperialist countries
(3) a leader in the movement for nonalignment
(4) an emerging global threat
One way in which the Sepoy Mutiny in India, the Zulu resistance in southern Africa, and the Boxer Rebellion in China are similar is that each resulted from
(1) government policies of ethnic cleansing
(2) attempts by democratic forces to overthrow the monarchy
(3) native reaction to foreign interference in the region
(4) government denial of access to fertile farmland
One similarity between the Sepoy Rebellion in India and the Boxer Rebellion in China is that both were
(1) religious reform movements
(2) reactions to the opium trade
(3) attempts to end foreign interference
(4) successful revolts against absolute monarchs
What was a direct result of the Opium War in 19th-century China?
(1) Japan gained control of Hong Kong.
(2) Kublai Khan rose to power in China.
(3) Chinese ports were opened for trade with European powers.
(4) Jiang Jieshi (Chiang Kai-shek) fled to Taiwan.
The primary reason France and Japan were interested in controlling parts of Indochina in the 20th century was to
(1) dominate the Indian Ocean
(2) obtain valuable natural resources
(3) stop the spread of communism
(4) prevent Spanish colonization
The theory of Social Darwinism was sometimes used to justify
(1) the establishment of communist governments in Asia
(2) Latin American revolutions in the early 19th century
(3) the independence movement in India
(4) European imperialism in the late 19th century
The Opium Wars of the mid-19th century marked the beginning of the
(1) rivalry between China and Taiwan
(2) domination of China by foreign powers
(3) decline of European influence in East Asia
(4) global effort to combat drug use
Which statement best reflects an effect of imperialism in Africa?
(1) Land was distributed equally between social classes.
(2) Territorial divisions were primarily established using tribal boundaries.
(3) Natural resources were exploited for the benefit of European powers.
(4) Timbuktu became the center of great learning.
The terms spheres of influence, extraterritoriality, and mandates are most closely associated with
(1) collective security
What was a major reason European nations competed for control of Africa during the second half of the 1800s?
(1) Africa had a wealth of natural resources.
(2) Slave labor was needed in the Americas.
(3) African nations offered religious and political freedom.
(4) Europeans needed land for their excess population.
Which factor contributed to the success of the Hanseatic League, the Kingdom of Songhai, and the British East India Company?
(1) location in the Middle East
(2) imperialism in Europe
(3) development of trade with other regions
(4) growth of the Ottoman Empire
Sets found in the same folder
Global Regents Practice
WWI & Russian Revolution
gmetrix study guide questions
Concept Review 1
Other sets by this creator
The French Revolution
The Enlightenment Questions
Scientific Revolution Questions
Other Quizlet sets
Supply Chain Midterm Exam
Chapter 8 Nervous Sytem
SPA4400 exam 1 mod. 4- Intervention Fundamentals