Upgrade to remove ads
Option B.4 : Ocean Management Futures
Terms in this set (11)
what are abiotic resources?
the resources which are composed of non-living things.
water, minerals, metals, wind, solar energy
what are biotic resources?
the resources which are obtained from the biosphere and are living organisms
animals and plants
what is geopolitics?
politics that are influenced by geographical factors
what is overfishing?
to continuously catch more fish than the system can naturally produce
information about overfishing
• the technology and machinery in the fishing industry can fish and process huge quantities of fish
• the nets and equipment used catch huge volumes of fish. a lot of what is caught is not needed, these are thrown back into the sea and discarded. they are often killed during this process.
• the amount of fish and types of fish caught are dependent on the consumers' needs
• population has increased (which increases the demand)
• there are financial incentives for catching more fish as this produces more money for the industry
what is aquaculture?
the cultivation of fish or other marine life for food
also known as fish farming
what is mariculture?
• branch of aquaculture.
• growing fish in only salt water
what is eutrophication?
increased amounts of nutrients in a water source, causes algae to grow rapidly.
this eventually depletes oxygen levels when the algae die and is broken down by bacteria
(oxygen is used to kill fish)
what are red tides?
a term used to refer to harmful algal blooms
good to know: algal bloom deplete oxygen in the waters and/or release toxins that may cause illness in humans and other animals
what is maximum sustainable yield (MSY)?
the maximum level at which a natural resource can be routinely exploited without long-term damage
what is global commons?
resources that are outside the reach of any one national
e.g. oceans, the atmosphere, and antarctica
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 1.1 : Population and Economic Development…
Chapter 1.2 : Changing Populations and Places
Chapter 1.3 : Challenges and Opportunities
Chapter 2.1 : Causes of Global Climate Change
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Geo chap 11 key words
Interactive Science 4th Grade Chapter 5
Energy and Material Resources: Renewable…
3rd grade Science Vocab Oct.19-23
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 15.3 : Animals and Agriculture
Chapter 15.2 : Crops and Soil
Chapter 5 : Business Plan
Chapter 15 : Human Resources Management
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Rhetorical Terms 5
Horitcultural 1week 2 ***
PUSD Science Test
Missed Workbook/Interim Exam 3 (Chapters 25-31)