Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
chap 6 short essay questions
Terms in this set (20)
1. Name the American political & social reforms in 1783.(pp.136-137) 
Getting rid of aristocratic & noble traces from Britain, abolishing laws of Primogeniture & entail, Lower property qualifications for voting, shifting state capitals westward as populatin moved westward.
2. Explain the position of African Americans in 1783.(p.138) [133-134]
Improved slightly in the north as several states abolished slavery. Still found themselves victims of discrimination in the north. Blacks in the north still lived in segregated neighborhoods. Found that southern states would not abolish slavery
3. Describe the new state constitutions written during & after the Revolution.(pp.141-142) [136-137]
These new constitutions were: Written constitutions, contained a Bill of Rights, increased the power of the legislatures, and decreased the power of governors.
4. Explain the purpose & structure of the Articles of Confederation.(p.143) 
guarded the sovereignty of the states, had a weak national government with a single body legislature, had no chief executive or national judiciary, did not give the government the power to tax or regulate commerce.
5. Name the major obstacle to the ratification of the Articles of Confederation.(p.144) [138-139]
The state jealousies regarding western land claims.
6. Describe the accomplishments of the Northwest Ordinances of 1785 & 1787.(pp.146-147) [140-141]
Established a land survey system, established a way to sell government lands, & established a government for western territories with a governor, secretary of state & three judges.
7. List the weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation.(pp.147-148) [142-143]
They did not allow the government to tax or to regulate commerce. It required unanimous consent for proposed amendments, and did not have a chief executive.
8. Explain the events that led to the calling of the Constitutional Convention.(p.149) 
Diplomatic humiliation by Britain and Spain, the Oyster War, The Annapolis Convention, & Shay's Rebellion.
9. Describe the financial & social status of most of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention.(p.150) 
wealthy, or at least financially comfortable, practical people like lawyers, merchants, & plantation owners, & veterans of the Revolution.
10. List the provisions of the Virginia Plan.(p.151) [144-145]
A two house national legislature based on population, The lower house chosen by the voters and the upper house chosen by the lower house. Also an executive elected by Congress and a strong national government.
11. List the provisions of the New Jersey Plan.(p.151) 
A unicameral (one house) legislature, each state would have one vote, allowed congress to tax, allowed congress to regulate commerce.
12. List the provisions of the Connecticut Plan.(p.151) 
Basically a compromise of the Virginia and New Jersey Plans; A two house legislature with the lower house based on population & the upper house having equal representation for the states. A lower house elected by the voters and an upper house elected by state legislatures. A strong independent executive and a national judiciary
13. Explain the status of slaves within the Constitution.(pp.152-153) [145-147]
Were counted as 3/5 of a person for representation. Were returned to their owners under a fugitive slave clause if they ran away. Were able to be imported from abroad until 1818.
14. Describe the position of the executive branch in the Constitution.(p.153) 
Consisted of the President & Vice President elected for four year terms by an electoral college.
15. Discuss how the Constitution was ratified.(p.153) 
It was ratified by a specially called, state ratifying conventions.
16. List the advantages of the Federalists.(p.156) 
Wealth, prominent supporters, the actual name "the federalists", and propaganda like "the Federalist papers"
17. Describe the beliefs of the Antifederalists.(p.157) 
They opposed the Constitution ratification, championed individual liberty, and believed in a stronger state government & weaker national governments.
18. Describe in economic & geographic terms who supported the Constitution.(p.157) [151-152]
Residents of commercial areas, large southern planters, George Washington, & James Madison
19. Name the major legacy of the Antifederalists.(p.157) 
The Bill of Rights
20. Name the major rights included under the Bill of Rights.(p.158) 
Freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, prohibition of unreasonable searches & seizures & trial by jury.
Sets with similar terms
Hist 1301 Chap 6.
Chapter 5 History
Government Chapter 2
Chapter 5 History
Sets found in the same folder
Chap 7 questions
Other sets by this creator
FCD 2351 #3
FCD 4302 D