5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- why did rome drive tarquin from power? (government guided by what?)
- how did the lack of new conquests hurt the roman empire?
- what caused the transition from Roman Republic to Roman Empire?
- what was the importance of the major leaders: augustus, constantine, justinian, diocletian, etc?
- what is the Pax Romana? and who led rome into it?
- a augustus- pax romana under his power. created good government. his rule had greatest extent of its size and influence. constantine- stopped attacks on christians, and moved the capital from rome to byzantine ( then came known as constantinople) justinian- expanded and recaptured land. created the justinian code. created beautiful buildings (Hagia Sophia- beautiful church) diocletian-split rome into east and west. restored order by ruling with tolerating little opposition.
- b with augustus, they became an empire. he was brilliant and careful. he built a strong government where the senate represented citizen's interests but they had little power. rome grew and became strong. rome ruled over a lot of land. pax romana helped.
- c with no new conquests there was no new wealth to bring to the government. no new slaves. no new farming land.
- d pax romana was a long period time of roman peace and prosperity. this happened when augustus was in power.
- e he ruled with a harsh hand or cruelly. they never went back to having a king instead they created a republic government.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the location made it easy to make roads. the river and sea helped trade and travel.
- the christians
- it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
- greece's culture
- justinian code- many codes of laws have gotten help from this. christianity- people still practice it today. mosaics- people still make them today. sculptures- are still made today. we still speak the european languages. we still use vaults domes and arches. and aqueducts. we still use roads.the principles of roman law helped to form the basis of legal systems in many euro. countries and the usa.
5 True/False questions
who had voting rights in the roman republic? → average citizens. wealthy people and noble families did have a big influence though. the free-born male had the right to vote. women had few rights.
what is a schism and why did it happen in rome and what was the result of it? → justinian code- many codes of laws have gotten help from this. christianity- people still practice it today. mosaics- people still make them today. sculptures- are still made today. we still speak the european languages. we still use vaults domes and arches. and aqueducts. we still use roads.the principles of roman law helped to form the basis of legal systems in many euro. countries and the usa.
what is the date of the fall of the western roman empire? → 476
who are stoics and what do they believe? → stoics are people that believe in stoicism. stoicism is the philosophy created by a greek philosopher zeno that stresses the importance of virtue, duty, and endurance in life. citizens should have these qualities.
what were the problems that Rome faced, why they existed, and how they contributed to the fall of the empire? → 476