5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- in what ways did the use of slave labor hurt roman agriculture and the roman empire?
- who is justinian and what did he do?
- why did christianity threaten the roman empire?
- what are the different legacies left behind by rome and why are they important?
- who are stoics and what do they believe?
- a he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
- b it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
- c the soil became difficult to farm on because of warfare and overuse. because slaves worked in the fields romans had no interest in inventing new tools. however no technology could have helped to save the soil. disease and hunger spread throughout the empire and many people died
- d justinian code- many codes of laws have gotten help from this. christianity- people still practice it today. mosaics- people still make them today. sculptures- are still made today. we still speak the european languages. we still use vaults domes and arches. and aqueducts. we still use roads.the principles of roman law helped to form the basis of legal systems in many euro. countries and the usa.
- e stoics are people that believe in stoicism. stoicism is the philosophy created by a greek philosopher zeno that stresses the importance of virtue, duty, and endurance in life. citizens should have these qualities.
5 Multiple choice questions
- average citizens. wealthy people and noble families did have a big influence though. the free-born male had the right to vote. women had few rights.
- the capitol stood in between europe and southwest asia. because of this it was a busy center of business and trade. merchants sold stuff on the streets from distant corners of asia, africa, and europe.
- augustus- pax romana under his power. created good government. his rule had greatest extent of its size and influence. constantine- stopped attacks on christians, and moved the capital from rome to byzantine ( then came known as constantinople) justinian- expanded and recaptured land. created the justinian code. created beautiful buildings (Hagia Sophia- beautiful church) diocletian-split rome into east and west. restored order by ruling with tolerating little opposition.
5 True/False questions
what were the problems that Rome faced, why they existed, and how they contributed to the fall of the empire? → 476
what caused the transition from Roman Republic to Roman Empire? → they did not wanted to be ruled by a king. this way citizens had a voice in their government and no person had all the power.
what culture was strongly influenced by the culture of Rome? → pax romana was a long period time of roman peace and prosperity. this happened when augustus was in power.
how did the lack of new conquests hurt the roman empire? → with no new conquests there was no new wealth to bring to the government. no new slaves. no new farming land.
how did the location of the settlement of Rome contribute to its successes? → the location made it easy to make roads. the river and sea helped trade and travel.