Terms in this set (36)
1) Which of the following is an autotroph?
2) Photosynthesis contributes to plant growth by _____.
taking in carbon dioxide and making sugars (carbohydrates)
4) What is the function of stomata?
5) Through what structure(s) do plants obtain most of their water?
6) What name is given to the membranous sacs found within a chloroplast?
7) What are grana?
stacks of membranous sacs
8) If you provided your shade-tolerant plants with their preferred wavelength of light, but only minimal amounts of water, which of the following would you expect to occur?
decreased amounts of ATP being produced by the plants
9) Which of the following equations best summarizes photosynthesis?
6 CO2 + 6 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2
10) In photosynthesis, redox reactions ultimately transfer electrons from ______ to ______.
11) Which of the following is produced during the light reactions of photosynthesis?
13) The products of the light reactions of photosynthesis are ______.
ATP and NADPH
14) The color that we see when looking at a pigmented object is ______.
the wavelengths that are reflected or transmitted by the pigmented object
15) If a plant appears blue to us, what wavelength of light is being reflected?
16) The energy of wavelengths that appear ______ is least useful to photosynthesis.
17) What is responsible for the yellow-orange coloration of leaves in the fall?
18) What is one reason why plants have accessory pigment molecules, like chlorophyll b and carotenoids?
to absorb energy in parts of the electromagnetic spectrum that chlorophyll a cannot
19) What name is given to a discrete packet of light?
20) The shorter the wavelength of visible light, the ______.
greater the energy
21) When a molecule absorbs a photon, one of its electrons is raised to the ______ state.
23) Where are photosystems located?
24) What compound is found at the reaction center of a photosystem?
25) The light reactions of photosynthesis take place ______.
in the thylakoid membrane
26) ______ is the source of the oxygen gas released by a photosystem.
27) Which of the following is the source of electrons for the light reactions?
28) Which of the following is found in both cellular respiration and in the light reactions of photosynthesis?
electron transport chain
29) In photosynthesis, an H+ ion gradient forms across the ______.
30) The Calvin cycle makes direct use of ______ to make ______.
CO2, ATP, and NADPH... sugar
31) C4 plants conserve water by ______.
B) keeping their stomata closed when the weather is hot and dry
32) CAM plants conserve water by ______.
opening their stomata only at night
33) Refer to the accompanying figure. Plant cells that contain the organelle responsible for photosynthesis are concentrated in cells of the ______.
34) Refer to the accompanying figure. Which of the following is true regarding the behavior of a chlorophyll molecule as it absorbs a photon?
The energy of a photon raises an electron to the excited state.
36) How many times must the Calvin cycle turn for the plant cell to be able to produce one molecule of glucose?
37) One of the compounds that is a direct output of the Calvin cycle is ______.
38) The first step of the Calvin cycle is the incorporation of ______ into ______.
39) The last stage of one complete turn of the Calvin cycle involves ______.
regeneration of RuBP
44) Why do some plant species require shaded conditions while other plant species require bright sunlight?
Different species of plants have different pigment molecules that utilize different wavelengths of light.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Biology Chapter 7
FINAL EXAM Bio 121- Chapter 7
Chapter & Biology- Clack
Bio chapter 7 Review
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
BISC 002 Sec 1 Chap 3