Create an account
Types of glaciers
1. Mountain glaciers: Glaciers that form in mountainous areas.
• Highland icefiels
• Valley glaciers
• Alpine glacier
• Cirque glacier
2. Continental ice sheets: Glaciers from in non mountainous areas. The two main types are Antarctica and Greenland.
term used in geology to refer to the state of gravitational equilibrium between the earth's lithosphere and asthenosphere such that the tectonic plates "float" at an elevation which depends on their thickness and density.
- Process of glacial erosion.
- Rock fractures open up beneath the glacier because of the weight of the ice and because of the freezing and thawing of water in cracks.
- The stress exerted by lowing glacial ice plucks rocks fragments loose and transports them in the direction of glacier flow.
- Particularly effective on leeward slopes and in well-jointed bedrock.
Rock debris deposited directly by moving or melting of ice, with NO meltwater redeposition involved
- Process of glacial deposition
- General term for glacier-deposited landforms compsed entirely or largely of till.
Smooth, flat alluvial aprons deposited beyond recessional or terminal moraines by streams issuing from the ice.
- Glaciers move down valleys with more effectiveness than a stream.
- A valley shaped by valley glaciers and ice streams within ice sheets that has a distinct trough form.
- Upper portion of a glacier.
- Here the amount of new ice added by snowfall exceeds the amount lost by melting an d sublimation
Getting bigger or smaller due to relation between ablation and accumulation.
• U-shaped Valley
• Hanging valley
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together