Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (122)
(n); denoting a dealer or trader in a specified commodity.
(n); someone who helps another person commit a crime
(n); formal release from guilt, obligation, or punishment
noun; additional items of dress or equipment, or other items carried or worn by a person or used for a particular activity
(n); bitterness or ill feeling
(v); warn or reprimand someone firmly
(v.); increase the power, status, or wealth of.
- enhance the reputation of (someone) beyond what is justified by the facts.
(noun); a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned.
1. regretfully acknowledging or excusing an offense or failure
2. of the nature of a formal defense or justification of something such as a theory or religious doctrine
1. a remark or passage by a character in a play that is intended to be heard by the audience but unheard by the other characters in the play
2. a remark that is not directly related to the main topic of discussion
adjective; showing great care and perseverance
(n.); a barren tract or tracts of land.
noun; a thing considered extremely strange and unusual, typically in an amusing way
1. (n); work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value.
2. (v); waste money or time on unnecessary or questionable projects.
adjective; abrupt or offhand in speech or manner
verb; persuade someone to do something by sustained coaxing or flattery
(n.); the making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
(adj.); (of a person) tending to find fault or raise petty objections.
noun; a helmet
verb; 1. jump or dance around excitedly
2. apply oneself enthusiastically to sexual or disreputable pursuits
1. (n.); distress or embarrassment at having failed or been humiliated.
2. (v.); feel distressed or humiliated
(v.); make (something bad) worse; intensify the negative aspects of.
noun; a feeling of guilt or moral scruple that follows the doing of something bad
verb; (of a warship or armed troops) accompany (a group of ships or vehicles) for protection
noun; humble submission and respect
1. (v.); raise doubts or objections or show reluctance.
2. (n.); the action or process of objecting to or hesitating over something.
(n.); threats, violence, constraints, or other action brought to bear on someone to do something against their will or better judgment.
(adj.); cheerful and full of energy
(adj.); relating to or constituting a church or denomination
(n.); an official order or proclamation issued by a person in authority.
(v); cause or give rise to (a feeling, situation, or condition)
(n); a flag or standard, especially a military or naval one indicating nationality.
(v.); adopt or support (a cause, belief, or way of life).
(noun); the clear sky; the upper regions of air beyond the clouds.
(v); analyze and develop (an idea or principle) in detail
(n); food, especially dried hay or feed, for cattle and other livestock.
(n); a person or thing that contrasts with and so emphasizes and enhances the qualities of another
verb; omit or decline to take (something pleasant or valuable); go without
(n.); 1. the future time.
2. a future event.
3. renewed or continuing existence.
(n.); a device, action, or opening remark, typically one entailing a degree of risk, that is calculated to gain an advantage.
(adj.); obtrusively bright and showy; lurid
(v.); have an angry or sullen look on one's face; scowl.
noun; a rapid movement in a circle or spiral; a whirling motion
1. (adj.); requiring great strength or effort.
2. (adj.); (of a person) muscular and strong.
noun; management and conservation of resources
(n.); a failure to observe standards or show due honesty or modesty; improper language, behavior, or character.
adjective; cheerful and lighthearted
noun; excessive or offensive sexual desire; lustfulness
(n.); humor or frivolity, especially the treatment of a serious matter with humor or in a manner lacking due respect.
(adj.); disturbing and horrifying because of involvement with or depiction of death and injury
verb;exaggerate or feign illness in order to escape duty or work
1. (adj.); clear or obvious to the eye or mind.
2. (v.); display or show (a quality or feeling) by one's acts or appearance; demonstrate.
(n); a public declaration of policy and aims, especially one issued before an election by a political party or candidate.
(n); a person who derives sexual gratification from their own pain or humiliation.
(n); a city in Saudi Arabia that Muslims consider to be a holy city in Islam, or any place that is the center of an activity and attracts many visitors with a similar interest
(v); dispense or allot justice, a punishment, or harsh treatment.
(n.); a flat piece of film containing microphotographs of the pages of a newspaper, catalog, or other document.
1. (v); be absorbed in thought.
2. (n); an instance or period of reflection.
(adj); liable or subject to change or alteration
noun; a person who is new to a subject, skill, or belief
(n); the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
(adj.); (of a task, duty, or responsibility) involving an amount of effort and difficulty that is oppressively burdensome
(v); a solution or remedy for all difficulties or diseases.
(n); a particular way of speaking or using words, especially a way common to those with a particular job or interest.
(n); a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning
1. (adj.); (especially of a person's manner or actions) insisting on immediate attention or obedience, especially in a brusquely imperious way.
2. (legal)(adj.); not open to appeal or challenge; final.
adjective; (of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad-tempered
(n.); the social attitude of anti-intellectualism that undervalues and despises art, beauty, spirituality, and intellect
(adj.); (of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual.
adjective; evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret
(n.): a strong verbal or written attack on someone or something.
1. (adj.); widespread in a particular area at a particular time.
2. (adj.)(archaic); predominant; powerful.
(n.); the state of being the firstborn child. The right of succession belonging to the firstborn child, especially the feudal rule by which the whole real estate of an intestate passed to the eldest son.
1. (n.); the official proving of a will.
2. (v.); establish the validity of (a will).
(n.); the state or quality of conforming to conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals.
(adj); (of a victory) won at too great a cost to have been worthwhile for the victor.
verb; feel or show fear or apprehension
1. (n.); a witty remark.
2. (v.); to make a witty remark.
(n); a person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way
adjective; completely fascinated by what one is seeing or hearing
(v.); say that one no longer holds an opinion or belief, especially one considered heretical.
(v); make a military observation of (a region).
1. (n.); a lengthy and complicated procedure.
2. (n.); a long, rambling story or statement.
verb; defeat and cause to retreat in disorder
(adj.); (of writing, pictures, or talk) treating sexual matters in an indecent way and typically conveying undue interest in or enjoyment of the subject
noun; a simultaneous discharge of artillery or other guns in a battle
verb; go around or past the edge of
(n.); care or concern for someone or something.
1. adjective; of various kinds; several
2. noun; various items not important enough to be mentioned individually
1. (n); cessation
2. (v); cease
(adj.); of or connected with the sense of touch
(n); a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
(n); a private, romantic rendezvous between lovers.
noun; a true principle or belief, especially one of fundamental importance
(n); 1. the language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people in a particular country or region
2. architecture concerned with domestic and functional rather than monumental buildings.
verb; compete eagerly with someone in order to do or achieve something
noun; a person highly skilled in music or another artistic pursuit
(adj.); (especially of a feeling or emotion) bursting out or liable to burst out violently
1. (n); a girl or young woman
2. (v); (of a man) consort with prostitutes.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
All Year-Long Words (Thanks Aaron!)
New Words 3.3
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
SSAT Vocabulary Builder, Track 3, List 14
trimester 2 vocab
Dorian Gray Vocabulary
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Kellog Pest Control General Knowledge
New Words 1.1, New Words 2.2, New Words 3.3, New W…
New Words 4.4