Upgrade to remove ads
New Words 3.3
Terms in this set (100)
(n.); the action of surrendering or ceasing to resist an opponent or demand.
(n.); (military); a temporary or supplementary fortification, typically square or polygonal and without flanking defenses.
(n.); 1. a person appointed to administer a country because the monarch is a minor or is absent or incapacitated.
2. a member of the governing body of a university or other academic institution.
(n.); an escape of blood from a ruptured blood vessel, especially when profuse.
(n.); an urgent need or demand.
(n.); persuasion as opposed to force or compulsion.
(n.); a person who settles a dispute or has ultimate authority in a matter.
(n.); home or family life.
1. (n.); an attractive appearance that covers or disguises someone or something's true nature or feelings.
2. (v.); cover or disguise (someone or something's true nature) with an attractive appearance.
(n.); lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment; innocence or unsophistication.
(n.); a pathological egotist, that is, someone with a psychological disorder with symptoms like delusions of grandeur and an obsession with power. Used more informally for people who behave as if they're convinced of their absolute power and greatness.
1. (v.); make secret plans to do something illicit or detrimental to someone.
2. (n.); the secret planning of something illicit or detrimental to someone.
3. (n.); a secret love affair.
4. (n.); a mysterious or fascinating quality.
1. (n.); a secret or disguised way of writing; a code
2. (n.); a thing written in a cipher.
3. (n.); a key to such a cipher.
4. (n.); a zero; a figure 0. (ancient)
5. (n.); a person or thing of no importance, especially a person who does the bidding of others and seems to have no will of their own. (ancient)
6. (n.); a monogram
7. (v.); put (a message) into secret writing; encode.
8. (v.); do arithmetic. (ancient)
1. (n.); the force or energy with which a body moves.
2. (n.); the force that makes something happen or happen more quickly.
1. (adj.); (of a word or phrase) referred to in a proverb or idiom.
2. (adj.); well known, especially so as to be stereotypical.
1. (n.); a proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved.
2. (n.); a direct or natural consequence or result.
3. (adj.); forming a proposition that follows from one already proved. (associated; supplementary.)
(v.); make (something abstract) more concrete or real.
(n.); agreement by all people involved; consensus.
(v.); cause (something) to fall into disrepair or ruin.
1. (n.); (no longer in technical use) a psychosis characterized by thoughts confined to one idea or group of ideas.
2. (n.); an inordinate or obsessive zeal for or interest in a single thing, idea, subject, or the like.
(n.); a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
1. (adj.); unusually or disproportionately large; excessive.
2. (adj.); (of a person) unrestrained in feelings or behavior; disorderly.
(n.); a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage.
(adj.); obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.
1. (n.); a ghost or ghostlike image of someone, especially one seen shortly before or after their death.
2. (n.); used in similes and metaphors to describe a pale, thin, or insubstantial person or thing.
3. (n.); a wisp or faint trace of something.
(n.); the concluding part of a speech, typically intended to inspire enthusiasm in the audience.
1. (n.); a series of shots fired or missiles thrown all at the same time or in quick succession.
2. (v.); attack (a place) or shoot down (someone) by a series of shots fired at the same time or in quick succession.
1. (v.); leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft.
2. (v.); (of someone on bail) fail to surrender oneself for custody at the appointed time.
3. (v.); (of a person kept in detention or under supervision) escape.
(v.); scrape or wear away by friction or erosion.
1. (v.); exist essentially or permanently in.
2. (v.); (of rights, powers, etc.) be vested in a person or group or attached to the ownership of a property. (legal)
(n.); a personality trait characterized by excessive investment in interpersonal relationships and usually studied in the field of social psychology.
1. (n.); a community, place, or situation regarded as encapsulating in miniature the characteristic qualities or features of something much larger.
2. (n.); humankind regarded as the epitome of the universe.
1. (adj.); (of a person) lying face upward.
2. (adj.); failing to act or protest as a result of moral weakness or indolence.
1. (adj.); warm and friendly.
2. (adj.); strongly felt.
3. (n.); another term for liqueur.
4. (n.); a sweet fruit-flavored drink.
5. (n.); a comforting or pleasant-tasting medicine.
1. (v.); quell the anger, agitation, or excitement of.
2. (v.); bring peace to (a country or warring factions), especially by the use or threatened use of military force.
1. (v.); warn or reprimand someone firmly.
2. (v.); advise or urge (someone) earnestly.
3. (v.); warn (someone) of something to be avoided. (archaic)
1. (v.); assault or abuse (a person, especially a woman or child) sexually.
2. (v.); pester or harass (someone), typically in an aggressive or persistent manner. (dated)
1. (n.); a person or personified force who is the source of inspiration for a creative artist.
2. (v.); say to oneself in a thoughtful manner.
3. (v.); gaze thoughtfully at.
1. (v.); cause to become entangled in something.
2. (v.); involve (someone) in a difficult situation from which it is hard to escape.
1. (adj.); a saw with a narrow blade stretched vertically on a frame, for cutting thin wood in patterns.
2. (adj.); (of an unwelcome phenomenon or situation) very difficult to change or overcome.
1. (adj.); of a dull grayish-brown color/ dark; dusky.
2. (n.); a dull grayish-brown color.
3. (n.); a sub-adult mayfly, which has drab coloration and opaque wings.
5. (v.); make persistent demands on (someone), especially for payment of a debt.
6. (n.); a debt collector or an insistent creditor.
7. (n.); a demand for payment.
(n.); a sudden and unaccountable change of mood or behavior.
(n.); a condition arising when the body is deprived of oxygen, causing unconsciousness or death; suffocation.
1. (n.); a written message, especially in business or diplomacy.
2. (n.); a note or record made for future use.
3. (n.); a document recording the terms of a contract or other legal details. (legal)
1. (n.); a temporary stay.
2. (v.); stay somewhere temporarily.
1. (n.); the intervening time.
2. (adj.); in or for the intervening period; provisional or temporary.
3. (advb.); meanwhile (archaic)
(n.); the action or process of writing in shorthand or taking dictation.
1. (n.); the reduction of costs or spending in response to economic difficulty.
2. (n.); the action of dismissing an employee from a job.
3. (n.); reduction in the extent or quantity of something.
1. (adj.); abundant in supply or quantity.
2. (adj.); profuse in speech or ideas. (archaic)
(adj.); lasting for a long time or longer than expected or usual.
1. (adj.); many and of various types.
2. (adj.) having many varied parts or aspects.
1. (v.); clean or brighten the surface of (something) by rubbing it hard, typically with an abrasive or detergent.
2. (v.); remove (dirt or unwanted matter) by rubbing with an abrasive or detergent.
3. (v.); (of water or a watercourse) make (a channel or pool) by flowing forcefully over something and removing soil or rock.
4. (v.); administer a strong purgative to. (archaic)
5. (n.); the action of scouring or the state of being scoured, especially by swift-flowing water.
6. (n.); diarrhea in livestock, especially cattle and pigs.
7. (v.); subject (a place, text, etc.) to a thorough search in order to locate something.
8. (v.); move rapidly in a particular direction, especially in search or pursuit of someone or something.
1. (adj.); (especially of a person or their clothes) perfectly clean, neat, or tidy.
2. (adj.); free from flaws or mistakes; perfect.
3. (adj.); (in the Roman Catholic Church) free from sin. (theological)
(v.); make (someone) less angry or hostile. (from Latin for appease)
1. (adj.); excessively sweet or sentimental.
2. (adj.); relating to or containing sugar; sugary. (dated)
1. (n.); a celebration or festival.
2. (v.); honor or entertain (someone) lavishly.
(n.); (especially in international relations) an establishment or resumption of harmonious relations.
(adj.); so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring.
1. (adj.); of or characteristic of the middle class, typically with reference to its perceived materialistic values or conventional attitudes.
2. (n.); a bourgeois person.
3. (adj.); (in Marxist contexts) upholding the interests of capitalism; not communist.
(n.); a person who has or affects to have a special appreciation of art and beauty.
(adj.); annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
1. (adj.); relating to Venice or its people.
2. (n.); a native or citizen of Venice.
3. (n.); the dialect of Italian spoken in Venice.
1. (n.); a plush woven fabric resembling velvet, chiefly used for soft furnishings, casual clothing, and hats.
2. (n.); a hat made of velour. (dated)
(adj.);unable to be explained or accounted for.
1. (v.); raise (a sensitive or difficult subject) for discussion.
2. (v.); pierce (a cask) to draw liquor.
3. (v.); (of a ship with the wind on the quarter) veer and pitch forward because of bad steering or a sea hitting the stern, causing it to present a side to the wind and sea, lose steerage, and possibly suffer serious damage.
4. (n.); a sudden and hazardous veering or pitching of a ship.
(v.); criticize unfairly; disparage. (from Latin, to make dark)
1. (n.); something or someone that one vehemently dislikes.
2. (n.); a formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church, excommunicating a person or denouncing a doctrine.
1. (adj.); not being what it purports to be; false or fake
2. (adj.); (of a line of reasoning) apparently but not actually valid.
3. (adj.); (of offspring) illegitimate
(adj.); (especially of a principle, place, or routine) regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.
(v.); make counteraccusations
(adj.); not showing a serious or respectful attitude
(n.); the method and practice of teaching, especially as an academic subject or theoretical concept.
(v.); speak or write at length or in detail.
1. (adv.)/(adj.); with each sound or note sharply detached or separated from the others.
2. (n.); a piece or passage marked to be performed staccato; a noise or speech resembling a series of short, detached musical notes.
1. (n.); a critical period or event.
2. (n.); (Medicine) the period of life when fertility and sexual activity are in decline; (in women) menopause.
3. (n.); (Botany) the ripening period of certain fruits such as apples, involving increased metabolism and only possible while still on the tree.
4. (adj.); having extreme and far-reaching implications or results; critical.
1. (n.); a sharp, often virulent satire directed against an individual or institution; a work of literature, art, or the like, ridiculing severely the character or behavior of a person, society, etc.
2. (v.); to mock or ridicule in a lampoon
(adj.); too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words/not to be uttered.
(v.); 1. share one's intimate thoughts or feelings with (someone or something), especially when the exchange is on a spiritual level.
2. feel in close spiritual contact with.
(adj.); just begun and so not fully formed or developed; rudimentary.
(n.); 1. a period when normal government is suspended, especially between successive reigns or regimes.
2. an interval or pause.
(n.); a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome.
1. (v.); (of something restrictive or too tight) make (a part of the body) sore by rubbing against it.
2. rub (a part of the body) to restore warmth or sensation.
3. become or make annoyed or impatient because of a restriction or inconvenience.
4. (n.); wear or damage caused by rubbing.
1. (adj.); traveling from place to place.
2. (n.); a person who travels from place to place.
1. (n.); grain that is ground to make flour.
2. useful material, especially to back up an argument.
(adj.); not able, wanting, or allowed to communicate with other people.
(v.); criticize (someone or something) harshly.
1. (n.); leave of absence, especially that granted to a member of the armed services, prison, or employees
2. (v.); grant a leave of absence to/lay off (workers), especially temporarily.
(n.); a person appointed by an organization to report on the proceedings of its meetings.
(n.); 1. the action of attacking or assertively rejecting cherished beliefs and institutions or established values and practices.
2. the rejection or destruction of religious images as heretical; the doctrine of iconoclasts.
(n.); 1. the representation of myths, especially in the plastic arts.
2. the creation or collection of myths.
(adj.); relating to the state immediately before falling asleep.
(v.); 1. trim (something) by cutting away its outer edges.
2. reduce (something) in size, extent, quantity, or number, usually in a number of small successive stages.
(n.); a broad strip or area of something.
(v.); 1. (of a monarch) renounce one's throne.
2. fail to fulfill or undertake (a responsibility or duty).
(v.); 1. reveal the presence of (a quality or feeling).
2. be evidence of; indicate.
(adv.); in a brave, spirited way.
1. (v.); move with a smooth wavelike motion.
2. (adj.); (especially of a leaf) having a wavy surface or edge.
(n.); 1. the highest point in the development of something; culmination or climax.
2. the elevation of someone to divine status; deification.
(v.); 1. impose an unwelcome or unnecessary person or thing on.
2. introduce someone or something surreptitiously or unwarrantably into.
(n.); an early printed book, especially one printed before 1501.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
All Year-Long Words (Thanks Aaron!)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
SSAT Vocabulary Builder, Track 3, List 14
Radiance of Tomorrow
Advanced English: verbs 2
WordMaster Challenge 7th Grade Round 1 (…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Kellog Pest Control General Knowledge
New Words 1.1, New Words 2.2, New Words 3.3, New W…
New Words 4.4