Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Precautions- Exam #1
Terms in this set (13)
What are the two categories of precautions?
1. Standard Precautions
2. Transmission-Based Precautions
What are the three types of precautions under Transmission-Based Precautions?
1. Contact Precautions
2. Droplet Precautions
3. Airborne Precautions
What are standard precautions and its Proper PPE?
- used for every patient at all times (because you do not know if they are infectious and you are then protecting yourself and other patients)
Proper PPE- used as needed to protect skin, clothing, or mucous membranes (mm), including gloves and proper hand hygiene (proper hand hygiene and typically gloves)
What are contact precautions?
- prevents transmission of infectious organisms spread by direct or indirect contact with the patient or patient's environment
*most common type of isolation
PPE: Standard Precautions (hand hygiene and gloves) & gown
Contact Precautions Mnemonic
"Don MEDical GLOVES/GOWN With Every CONTACT Precautions Session!"
What are droplet precautions?
- Prevents transmission of infectious organisms spread by droplets (>5 microns) through close respiratory or mucous membranes (travel about 3 feet)
Transmitted by coughing, talking, sneezing
PPE: Standard Precautions (hand hygiene and gloves), Contact Precautions (gown), and providers wear a surgical mask (within 3 ft of pt.), surgical mask for client when they leave the room and notify the receiving department
Droplet Precautions Mnemonic
DROPLET MASK STops SCARy PNEUMatic FLUid
PARasites PLAGUing DIstinguished GERMAN MEN? MY EPIc MUM's, RHonda."
What are airborne precautions?
- prevents transmission of infectious disease that are spread by droplets (< or = to 5 microns) and remain infectious in the air
Transmitted through coughing and texting.
Private room, negative airflow pressure (6-12 air exchanges/hr via HEPA filtration)
PPE: Standard Precautions (hand hygiene and gloves), Contact Precautions (gown), Airborne precautions (providers wear a surgical mask (within 3 ft of pt.), surgical mask for client when they leave the room and notify the receiving department) and N95 Respiratory Mask for providers, surgical mask for client when she leaves room
Airborne Precautions Mnemonic
Number 95 Dissected HER
- are steps you can take to prevent infections if you have moderate to severe neutropenia (abnormally low concentration of neutrophils (WBC) in the blood.
- You protect the patient from the rest of the world, instead of protecting yourself from the patient.
4th) booties (then gel)
1) remove gloves (gel)
2) reapply gloves
3) remove booties
4) remove mask
5) remove hat
6) remove gown
7) remove gloves (reverse; gel)
How do you clean C. diff?
with soap and water ONLY
Sets with similar terms
Unit 13: Infection Control
Unit 13: Infection Control
Transmission Based Precautions
Basic Nursing Lesson: 2 . 3 Patient Isolation
Other sets by this creator
Ch 19 - Cholinergics & Anticholinergics
Heatstroke- Exam #1
Pain Assessment/Management- Exam #1
Stress- Exam #1
Recommended textbook solutions
Pharmacology and the Nursing Process
Julie S Snyder, Linda Lilley, Shelly Collins
Clinical Reasoning Cases in Nursing
Julie S Snyder, Mariann M Harding
The Human Body in Health and Disease
Gary A. Thibodeau, Kevin T. Patton
Pathophysiology for the Health Professions
Karin VanMeter, Robert Hubert