Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Stress- Exam #1
Terms in this set (8)
Benefits of Stress
Stimulates thinking, be alert to your environment, and allows for personal growth
Risks of Stress
high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, obesity, diabetes
What does GAS stand for?
General Adaptation Syndrome
What is GAS?
is a three-stage reaction to stress, describes how the body responds physiologically to stressors through stages of alarm, resistance, and exhaustion. Triggered either by a physical (directly) or a psychological event (indirectly).
What are the three stages of GAS?
1. Alarm Stage Reaction
2. Resistance Stage
3. Exhaustion Stage
What is the alarm stage reaction and how does it affect pt. vitals?
*Increased hormone levels
- Endorphins: hormones that act on the body to decrease pain and increase sense of well being.
- Rising hormone levels result in increased blood volume, blood glucose levels, epi and norepi, heart rate, blood flow to muscles, oxygen intake and mental alertness
- Prepares for fight or flights, lasts anywhere from 1 minute to several hours
What is the resistance stage and how does it affect pt. vitals?
*body stabilizes, responds in opposite way of the alarm reaction
- Repair of any damage
- Levels adapt back to normal
- Doesn't adapt; go to next stage
What is the exhaustion stage and how does it affect pt. vitals?
*Unable to resist effects of stressor
- Energy- depleted that is needed to maintain adaptation
- Has trouble adapting to stressor because of low energy level
- Body has trouble taking care of itself with the stressor
- Can even lead to death.
Other sets by this creator
High-Alert Medications (Drug Classes/Categories &…
Nurs 01 Exam #2
Approved Abbreviations for Medications