Upgrade to remove ads
HTH related chapter 2
Terms in this set (16)
1. Do you the difference between a sign & symptom?
Sign--someone else can observe/detect
Symptom--experienced by the individual
2. Can you recognize major signs & symptoms suggestive of cardiovascular (CV), renal, or metabolic disease?
Pain; discomfort (or other anginal equivalent) in the chest, neck, jaw, arms, or other areas that may result from ischemia
Shortness of breath at rest or with mild exertion
Dizziness or syncope
Orthopnea or paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea
Palpitations or tachycardia
Known heart murmur
Unusual fatigue or shortness of breath with usual activities
3. Do you know the relationship between exercise intensity and risk for a cardiovascular event?
4. Do you understand why CV risk factors are not considered a substantial risk of an exercise-induced cardiac event?
5. Do you know the two methods to pre-participation health screening?
1.The need for medical clearance before initiating or progressing exercise programming is determined using the updated and revised ACSM screening algorithm (see Figure 2.2)
a.In the absence of professional assistance, interested individuals may use self-guided methods
2.If indicated during screening (see Figure 2.2), medical clearance should be sought from an appropriate health care provider
a.The manner of clearance should be determined by the clinical judgment and discretion of the health care provider
6. Do you know the pros & con of using a PAR-Q?
DISADVANTAGE: required a higher cognitive ability to fully answer questions
Reduces barriers to exercise
Minimizes false positive screenings
7. Do you understand the purpose of the ACSM screening algorithm?
identify participants at risk for CV complications during or immediately after aerobic exercise
8. Do you know if resistance training is factors into the ACSM screening algorithm?
9. Do you know the 5 major steps of the ACSM screening algorithm?
Step 1: Determine participation in regular exercise
Use footnote at bottom of chart; 3 d/wk, moderate intensity, at least 30 minutes, for 3 months
This will determine which flow chart you use
Step 2: Known CV, metabolic or renal disease?
Step 3: Signs/symptoms suggestive of disease?
Step 4: Desired exercise intensity?
Step 5: Medical clearance needed?
10. Do you know the physical activity criteria for screening?
11. Do you know the CV, metabolic, and renal disease used for screening?
12. Can you recognize major CV, renal, and metabolic signs & symptoms?
13. Can you identify what intensity an exercise/activity would be at?
14. Do you know the different ranges for light, moderate, and vigorous intensity on the METs scale?
15. If given a list of medications & their purposes, could you identify if it would be a factor in the ASCM screening algorithm?
16. If given a case study, could you determine if medical clearance is needed?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Testing & Prescription Exam 1
ch 20 ex phys final
exercise testing ch 2
EXRX Final Study Guide
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Exam one chapter two
HTH related chapter 3
Health related assessment Chapter 1
chapter 8 unit 2