Create an account
Income Tax Rates (MA)
Income is cassified into three groups, 5.3% income, 12% income and long term capital gain income.
5% Income (MA)
• Wages, salaries, tips, foreign employment
• Pensions annuities, state pensions
• IRA/KEOGH and Roth IRA distributions
• Taxable interest and dividends
• Alimony received
• Business, professional, trade and farm income
• Income or loss from rental real estate
• Partnership and S corp income or loss
• Trust income or loss
• Royalty and REMIC income or loss
• Unemployment compensation
• Winnings, jury duty pay, prizes, awards
• Forgiveness of debt
• Mortgage forgiveness
• Other income from US 1040 Line 21
Additions to Federal Gross Income (MA)
Mass Gross Income includes:
• Municipal bond earnings NOT from MA.
• Employee contribution to MA pension plans.
• Foreign earned income.
Subtractions from Federal Gross Income (MA)
Mass Gross Income excludes:
• Interest earned from US obligations (US Savings Bonds & Treasury Bonds)
• Social Security or Railroad Retirement Income
• VA pensions and worker's compensation
• Contributory pensions from the US government and MA plans
• State or federal income tax refunds
• Income from annuities, pensions, IRA or KEOGH plans.
• Non-contributory military pensions or survivorship benefits.
• Amounts received by a firefighter or police officer incapacitated in the line of duty.
Residence Criteria (MA)
• Taxpayer's legal residence is in MA for the entire year, OR
• Taxpayer maintains a permanent residence in MA and spends more than 183 days in the state.
Part-Year Resident (MA)
An individual who either:
• Moves to MA during the year and becomes a resident, OR
• Moves out of MA during the year and establishes a residence outside the state.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together