Create an account
groups similar data in columns, making visual comparison easier to determine.
clustered column chart
places (stakes) data in one column with each data series a different color for each category.
stacked column chart
are most effective when they are limited to small numbers of categories-generally seven or fewer.
is the most effective way to display proportional relationships. It is the type of chart to select whenever words like percentage, or market share appear in the message to be delivered.
may be created in exploded or unexploded format, contains a three-dimensional view.
three-dimensional pie chart
shows trends over a period of time, a line connects data points, and is used frequently to show stock market or economic trends. The X-axis represents time, such as ten-year increments, whereas the vertical axis represents the value of a stock or quantity.
displays values as percentages of the whole; is similar to a pie chart in that it shows relationship of parts to a whole, but can display more than one series of data, and it has a hole in the middle.
shows a relationship between two variables. They are used to represent the data from scientific or educational experiments that demonstrate relationships.
1. Specify the data series.
2. Select the range of cells to chart.
3. Select the chart type.
4. Insert the chart and designate the chart location.
5. Choose chart options.
6. Change the chart location and size.
create a chart
In the Charts group on the Insert tab, do one of the following:
1. Click the chart type, and then click a chart subtype that you want to use.
2. To see all available chart types, click a chart type, and then click All Chart Types to display the Create Chart dialog box.
3. Click the arrows to scroll through all available chart types and chart subtypes, and then click the one that you want to use.
to select, click the first cell in the range, and then drag to the last cell, or hold down Shift while you press the arrow keys to extend the selection.
You can also select the first cell in the range, and the press F8 to extend the selection by using the arrow keys. To stop extending the selection, press F8 again.
a range of cells
to select, click the first cell in the range, and then hold down Shift while you click the last cell in the range. You can scroll to make the last cell visible.
a large range of cells
to select, select the first cell or range of cells, and then hold down Ctrl while you select the other cells or ranges.
non adjacent cells or cell ranges
to select, select the first cell or range of cells, and then press Shift+F8 to add another, to stop adding press Shift+F8 again.
nonadjacent cells or cell ranges
to select, click the row or column heading
You can also select cells by selecting the first cell and then pressing Ctrl+Shift+Arrow key
entire row or column
to select, drag across the row or column headings. Or select the first row or column, then hold down Shift while you select the last row or column.
Adjacent rows or columns
to select, click the column or row heading of the first row or column in your selection, then hold down Ctrl while you click the column or row headings of other rows or columns that you want to add to the selection.
noncontiguous rows or columns
1. Click the embedded chart or the chart sheet to select it and to display the chart tools.
2. Click Move Chart in the Location group on the Design tab.
3. In the Choose where you want the chart to be placed section, do one of the following: Click New Sheet to display the chart in its own chart sheet.
Click Object In, click the drop-down arrow, and select a worksheet to move the chart to another worksheet.
change location of a chart
when you create a chart the Design, Layout, and Format tabs are available on this tab
Chart tools contextual tab
1. In the Illustrations group on the Insert Tab, select the medium where the graphic will come from (Picture, Clip Art, Shapes, or SmartArt 1)
2. Search for and insert the graphic
3. Size and move the graphic on the chart as desired.
add a graphic to chart
To format this, select it, and then click the formatting options that you want on the Mini Toolbar
To format this, right click the selected text, select Format Chart TItle, Format Axis Title, or Format Data Labels on the shortcut menu, and then select the formatting options that you want.
title or data label
The options for formatting this may be approached in two ways, either by using the tabs or by selecting the chart and then right-clicking and using the various format commands on the shortcut menu.
to add this to chart:
1. Select the chart that will have data labels added.
2. Click Data Labels in the Labels group on the Layout tab.
3. Select the location for the data labels on the chart.
To change this of a data series in a column chart:
1. Right-click on any column to open the shortcut menu.
2. Select Format Data Series
3. Select Fill in the left pane, select Solid fill, and then select a color from the Color list.
To insert this use the Layout Tab:
1. Click the Shapes down arrow on the Layout Tab.
2. Click on the shape you want to insert.
3. Place the crosshair pointer over the location on the chart where the graphic is to be located and drag the pointer to place the shape.
4. Release mouse button.
The steps to do this to a chart are:
1. Click on the chart in Excel to select it.
2. Click Copy in the Clipboard group on the Home Tab.
3. Open the appropriate Word or PowerPoint document.
4. Click the Paste down arrow in the Clipboard group on the Home tab and select Paste Special.
5. Select Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object, click the Paste Link option, and click Ok.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together