Extraordinarily sexist environment.
ii. Women quotes were seen as novelties, or sacrificial lambs
1. Had no chance of winning, but used a woman because they didn't want to waste a male.
iii. Family issues, would take over their dead husbands place for one term.
iv. Those who did run:
1. Were older or did not have children.
a. plan your life around when your children are fully grown.
• 1980's (little change, but they said that there were)
o First saw the coin of "gender gap"
o Mid 80's
• More women graduating from college and voting.
• Getting more involved in business, more educated women.
o Decreased avert sexist treatment, became more and more rare.
o More running for local and national candidacy.
o The perception of competence had to be demonstrated by women, for men it was assumed.
• "Bang for the buck"
Women had to raise and spend more to prove their competency.
Spend money to reach voters, more on advertisers, just to prove they can do the job.
Differential return for competency expenditures.
o 1989 - March for Women
• Largest demonstration.
• The allocation of federal dollars for contraceptive information was an "overt war".
• Garnered massive media attention for women's issues, and calls that more women needed to represent other women.
• Women being treated horribly in the military.
• Feminization of poverty term coined.
Showed the disparity of pay for women and how hard it was for women (single one in particular)