Upgrade to remove ads
Crim 406 week 3.2
Terms in this set (11)
Stigma is a...
primary tool of informal social control
Goffman (1963) defined Stigma as
"an attribute that is deeply discrediting" and reduces the bearer "from a whole and usual person to a tainted, discounted one."
Jones (1984) defined Stigma as
"a mark that sets a person apart and links the marked person to undesirable characteristics"
Goffman's 3 Types of Stigma
-Abominations of the body: readily apparent and known at first glance
-Blemishes of individual character: inferred from known records or experience, may be less apparent
-Tribal Stigma: hereditary stigmas have the unique potential to discredit entire families, may also be less visible
oversimplified cognitive conceptions or beliefs about individuals who belong to a particular social group or category. often based on a rigid 'caricature' that has little basis in reality
attitudes which inform cognitive representations of other individuals or groups based on their social postion
actions by others that further reduce life chances by limiting access to jobs, education, earnings, housing, healthcare, etc.
How does Stigmatization happen? (Link and Phelan)
1. people diminish and label human differences
2. labeled persons are linked to undesirable characteristics-- to unwarranted negative stereotypes
3. labeled persons are viewed as an outgroup as "them" and not "us"
4. people experience emotional reactions to labeled people-- fear, repulsion, disgust and labeled persons may feel shame, embarrassment, humiliation
5. labeled persons experience status loss and discrimination as a consequence
6. stigma is dependent on power
Motivation to Stigmatize
keep people down, keep people in, keep people away
Mechanisms of Stigma and Discrimination
-direct discriminatory behavior by other people
-discrimination that operates through the stigmatized person
Stigma serves the interests of the...
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
SOC 100 FINAL CMU
PSYCH 250 Midterm
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Comm 409 Exam 3: Professor John Sanchez
Comm 409 Exam 2
Crim 406 week 4.1
crim 406 week 3.1
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Sociology Test Three
Psychology Exam 4 Essay Questions
PSYC 3303 EXAM 2 STUDY SHEET