the sacred writings of Islam revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during his life at Mecca and Medina
the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth
a mystical Muslim group that believed they could draw closer to God through prayer, fasting, and a simple life
A dynasty that ruled the Muslim Empire from 661 to 750 and later established a kingdom in al-Andalus.
capital city of the present day iraq ; capital of the muslim empire during islams golden age
The Five Pillars
1. Profession of faith
2. 5 prayers
3. Giving of Alms (donations)
4. Fasting during Ramadan
5. Pilgrimage to Mecca
the branch of Islam whose members acknowledge Ali and his descendants as the rightful successors of Muhammad.
Dont's of islamic society
- Pre-marital sexual relations
- Eating pork
- Eating any animal not killed in a humane way
Sunni (differences from Shi'a)
- Believe that the first four caliphs were "rightly guided"
- Believe that Muslim rulers should follow the Sunna, or Muhammad's example
- Claim that the Shi'a have distorted the meaning of various passages in the Qur'an
Shi'a (differences from Sunni)
- Believe that Ali, Muhammad's son-in-law, should have succeeded him
- Believe that all Muslim rulers should be descended from Muhammad; do not recognize the authority of the Sunna
- Claim that the Sunni have distorted the meaning of the passages in the Qur'an
What is a Hijab?
A hijab is a piece of clothing worn over the woman's head to hide their beauty to the public
What are woman's role in society?
The woman are often not considered as important as the men. They must walk behind the men at all times, they are also not as educated as the men
Why is there conflict between Israel and Palestine?
- Islam, Christianity, and Judaism lived in peace
- Until the 18th century when the Zionists group came (Zionists are a minor group of Judaism)
- They came into the land of Palestine to take over and create a Jewish homeland
- Eventually this caused fighting between the religions
- Hitler came to power, so more Jewish people moved to middle eastern countries - thus causing more problems