5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pathology of shock
- Cardiogenic shock
- Why are hemorrhages widespread?
- a pump failure; i.e. secondary to MI, conduction block or arrythmia, myocarditis or valvular heart disease
- b (upon autopsy) interal organs are congested and wet from edema; the lungs are 2-3 times heavier. the liver is congested and blood oozes from it. the intestines are dark from blood pooling and wet. the kidneys are swollen, pale, and congested. and the brain is edematous, flattened gyri.
- c a detached solid, gaseous, or liquid mass that is carried by the blood from site of origin to a distal site. May lodge in pulmonary or systemic circulation.
- d sudeen death, clinically silent; resolution, organization, dyspnea, pulmonary infarct
- e because of DIC
5 Multiple choice questions
- the end result of decompensated shock. marked by: circulatory collapse, hypoperfusion of vital organs, and loss of vital functions. PTs are in distress and are frantic, DIC is common, and high mortality.
- early stages of shock are reversible and treatable. in the early stages, peripheral vasoconstriction helps compensate for hypoperfusion. the central pooling redirects blood to vital organs. if untreated, can cause death.
- adherent masses of blood that have areas of pale alternating with areas of red - lines of zahn
- major factors KEEPING fluid in vessel
- excess fluid in the interstital spaces of the body
5 True/False questions
Infarction → ischemic necrosis of tissue distal to an area of arterial occulsion or in an area of obstructed venous outflow
Hypotonic shock → loss of peripheral vascular tone and pooling of blood in dilated peripheral blood vessels
Compensated shock → a set of adaptations occur to compensate for the circulatory imbalance. i.e. tachycardia, vasoconstriction of peripheral arteries, and reduced urine production
Pumonary Infarct → white; organs with single blood supply
Pulmonary Thromboembolism → deep venous thrombi is usual cause; often following immobilization, i.e. bed rest from hospitalization