5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Molly Maguires
- The Age of Reason
- a nickname for the Irish Miners' Union in Pennsylvania
- b a Protestant denomination founded on the principles of John Wesley and Charles Wesley
- c Literary and intellectual movement. Emphasized individualism and self-reliance, each person possesses an "inner light" that can point way to truth.
- d Responsible for the first pieces of American literature
- e (1794) Thomas Paine's anticlerical treatise that accused church to be bad.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Followers of Joseph Smith. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Small swift vessels that helped American trade.
- "Father of Prohibitions", Maine Laws, wanted temperance, "10 Nights in a Bar room"
- gained great support from Second Great Awakening, stressed personal conversion and church democracy
- Semisecret Irish organization that became a benevolent society aiding Irish immigrants in American.
5 True/False questions
Planter Aristocracy → "Leaves of Grass" poet and transcendentalist
Second Great Awakening → "Fall of the House of Usher" writer and poet
Transportation Revolution → Transformation from a disaggregated, subsistence economy to a national commercial and industrial network.
King Cotton → cotton and cotton-growing considered the major factor not only in the economy but also in politics.
Shakers → slave drivers who whipped slaves to break their souls and strong will.