5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Punnett square
- a A gene that arises by mutation and encodes slightly different versions of the same gene product.
- b Smallest unit of structural organization in chromosomes; around a spool of histone proteins.
- c a single gene can affect multiple traits.
- d cell division process that halves the chromosome number, to the haploid (n) number
- e A diagram used to predict the outcome of a testcross.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The time a cell forms until it reproduces. In eukaryotes, it consists of interphase, mitosis, and cytoplasmic division.
- first cell of a new individual, fertilized
- Heterozygote. Individual with two different alleles at a gene locus.
- Stage of mitosis and meiosis in which chromosomes condense a become attached to spindles.
- a pair of recessive alleles at a locus on homologous chromosomes; e.g., aa.
5 True/False questions
adenine (A) → A nitrogen-containing base in nucleotides; also base-pairs with thymine in DNA and uracil in RNA.
multiple allele system → Three or more alleles persist in a population.
mitosis → cell division mechanism that maintains the chromosome number.
heterozygous → two different alleles at a gene locus on the chromosome Aa
sexual reproduction → Process by which a cell duplicates its DNA before it divides.