Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
AP Bio- Ch 9: Cellular Respiration & Fermentation
Terms in this set (15)
What is cellular respiration?
the process of converting the energy in glucose into useable energy for the cell
What is the cellular respiration equation?
C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6CO2 + 6H2O + ATP(energy)
What are the two parts of cellular respiration?
glycolysis and krebs cycle
glycolysis or Embden-Meyerhof pathway is ___________
Krebs Cycle (Citric Acid Cycle) is...
During cellular respiration, more energy is released in the ________ portion of the process.
The whole process of cellular respiration begins with a molecule of ___________
Dihydroxyacetone-P is used by the body in the production of _______
What is NAD+?
an electron receiver
When NAD+ is reduced it becomes
What is NADH
An electron carrier molecule
What are the two waste products produces?
1) If you are a yeast, ethanol is the waste produced
2) In your body, lactic acid is the anaerobic waste produced
If the process of breaking down glucose continues without oxygen, what are the two optional endings.
1) If there is oxygen present, cells send the pyruvic acid into a specialized series of reactions known as the Krebs' Cycle.
2) As the pyruvic acid enters the aerobic phase of respiration, the cell finally finishes breaking the original glucose molecule apart into carbon dioxide.
(Since pyruvic acid is a 3-carbon molecule, there will be 3 CO2 produced.)
How much energy does direct respiration capture?
1) ATP is used in respiration ________
2) ATP produced in respiration ____
NET gain _____
-2; +6; +4
How much energy does indirect respiration capture?
1_ NADH produced: 10--> which generates _________
2) FADH₂ produced: 2--> which generates __________
+30 ATP; +4 ATP
Recommended textbook explanations
Nelson Science Perspectives 10
Christy C. Hayhoe, Doug Hayhoe, Jeff Major, Maurice DiGiuseppe
Texas Science Fusion: Grade 7
Kenneth R. Miller, Levine
Biology: Reading and Study Workbook A
Sets found in the same folder
Ecology: Ch 55- Secondary Production
AP Bio: DNA Technology Vocab
AP Bio- Chemistry of Life (pt 1+2)
AP Bio: Immunology
Sets with similar terms
Biology chapter 7
Biology Cellular Respiration
Advanced Bio- Chapter 6 Test
Other sets by this creator
AP Psych: Unit 1 Personality
AP Gov Cram
AP Gov Vocab
AP Gov Final Exam Study Guide