5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- these are opposites which are mutually exclusive, e.g. male/female. These are ungradable so can't be used with 'very'.
- The attribute or aspect of the whole replaces the whole eg The doctor's came to see the APPENDIX in bed three.
- 'finger' is a __________of 'hand' because a finger is part of a hand
- a word that has the same or very similar meaning to another word.
- refers to the case when a word has more than one related meaning, for example: foot (part of the body) and foot of the mountain.
5 True/False questions
Superordinate → A word which is more generic than a given word or words. For example: transport is the ___________ of train, bus, taxi, tram, etc...
Homonyms → the relationship between words represented by the formula X is a type of Y, as in a mango is a type of fruit. In this case, mango is a _________ of fruit.
lexical set → refers to the case when a word has more than one related meaning, for example: foot (part of the body) and foot of the mountain.
homographs → words which have different spelling but the same pron, e.g. won / one
gradable antonyms → words that are on a scale, e.g. hot, warm, cool, cold are on a scale of hotness and coldness. They can be 'very' 'fairly' etc.