5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- words that are on a scale, e.g. hot, warm, cool, cold are on a scale of hotness and coldness. They can be 'very' 'fairly' etc.
- words that have the same spelling but different pron, e.g. a windy road / a windy night
- A word which is more generic than a given word or words. For example: transport is the ___________ of train, bus, taxi, tram, etc...
- a group of related words (which are co-hyponyms - Thornbury), e.g. doctor, dentist, accountant
- The attribute or aspect of the whole replaces the whole eg The doctor's came to see the APPENDIX in bed three.
5 True/False questions
Synonym → a word that has the same or very similar meaning to another word.
multiple taxonomy/incompatibles → sets of items, using one of which excludes the others in the set, (closed system) eg Monday, Tuesday etc (open-ended) vehicles: cars, bus, lorry, van etc
converses → a form of 'oppositeness', where there is a reciprocal relationship, e.g. buy and sell / lend and borrow
hyponym → a word that has the same or very similar meaning to another word.
Antonym → A word that is opposite in meaning to another one, for example: cold - hot.