6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a form of 'oppositeness', where there is a reciprocal relationship/one implies the other, e.g. buy and sell / lend and borrow
- 'finger' is a __________of 'hand' because a finger is part of a hand
- the relationship between words represented by the formula X is a type of Y, as in a mango is a type of fruit. In this case, mango is a _________ of fruit.
- refers to the case when a word has more than one related meaning, for example: foot (part of the body) and foot of the mountain.
- words that are on a scale, e.g. hot, warm, cool, cold are on a scale of hotness and coldness. They can be 'very' 'fairly' etc.
- the grammatical constructions a word likes to appear in or with
5 True/False questions
homophones → words which have different spelling but the same pron, e.g. won / one
Superordinate → A word which is more generic than a given word or words. For example: transport is the ___________ of train, bus, taxi, tram, etc...
complementaries → these are opposites which are mutually exclusive, e.g. male/female. These are ungradable so can't be used with 'very'.
Synonym → a word that has the same or very similar meaning to another word.
Antonym → A word that is opposite in meaning to another one, for example: cold - hot.