5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- turning point
- Bartolome de Las Casas
- a a moment in history that marks a decisive change
- b towns in New Spain
- c top social class of New Spain, people who were born in Spain and held the highest jobs in government and the Church.
- d attempted to help Native Americans by asking the King of Spain to enact laws prohibiting their enslavement
- e Indian empire conquered by the Spanish, many of them died from European diseases
5 Multiple choice questions
- in the 1600s, English settlers who sought religious freedom in the Americas; settled the colony of Plymoth in Massachusetts. After struggling to survive their first winter they were helped by Native Americans to better learn how to fish and farm.
- Engligh colony in Virginia; located in a swampy area, the colonists suffered from disease spread by mosquitoes, conflicts with Native Americans and starvation.
- Indian empire that eventually lost control of their government to the Spanish because of fighting among themselves
- movement to reform the Catholic Church in the 1500s; led to the creation of many different Christian Churches, these religious differences increased rivalries between nations
- government in which voters elect representatives to make laws for them
5 True/False questions
mestizos → below the creoles, they were people who were of mixed Spanish and Indian background in New Spain
conquistadors → spanish conquerors
northwest passage → an area of settlements in North and South America that we conquered by conquistadors.
established church → the chosen religion of a state; most rulers during the 1500s supported this practice.
New Spain → an area of settlements in North and South America that we conquered by conquistadors.