5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Christopher Colombus
- House of Burgesses
- representative government
- a government in which voters elect representatives to make laws for them
- b looking for a route to Asia and found the Americas, he did NOT discover America, but his voyage did have a lasting impact! His voyages led to trade between the Eastern and Western Hemispheres
- c large estate farmed by many workers
- d representative assembly in colonial Virginia; it began a tradition of representative government in the English colonies
- e in the 1600s, English settlers who sought religious freedom in the Americas; settled the colony of Plymoth in Massachusetts. After struggling to survive their first winter they were helped by Native Americans to better learn how to fish and farm.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the chosen religion of a state; most rulers during the 1500s supported this practice.
- religious settlements run by Catholic priests and friars
- a legal document giving certain rights to a person or company
- below the Peninsulares, they were people who were born in New Spain to Spanish parents
- top social class of New Spain, people who were born in Spain and held the highest jobs in government and the Church.
5 True/False questions
northwest passage → waterway through or around North America; European nations sent explorers in search of this passage to find a direct water route to Asia, this led to more European nations making use of North American resources
Bartolome de Las Casas → attempted to help Native Americans by asking the King of Spain to enact laws prohibiting their enslavement
Jamestown → below the creoles, they were people who were of mixed Spanish and Indian background in New Spain
conquistadors → Wampanoag Indian who helped the Pilgrims to grow native crops
colony → a group of people who settle in a distant land but are still ruled by the government of their native land