5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Spanish borderlands
- New Spain
- Christopher Colombus
- Columbian Exchange
- a Indian empire conquered by the Spanish, many of them died from European diseases
- b edge of New Spain that stretched form present day Florida to present day California, explorers met a stron Indian resistance here
- c looking for a route to Asia and found the Americas, he did NOT discover America, but his voyage did have a lasting impact! His voyages led to trade between the Eastern and Western Hemispheres
- d an area of settlements in North and South America that we conquered by conquistadors.
- e the global exchange of goods and ideas resulting from the encounter between the peoples of the Eastern and Western hemispheres
5 Multiple choice questions
- Indian empire that eventually lost control of their government to the Spanish because of fighting among themselves
- religious settlements run by Catholic priests and friars
- Engligh colony in Virginia; located in a swampy area, the colonists suffered from disease spread by mosquitoes, conflicts with Native Americans and starvation.
- in the 1600s, English settlers who sought religious freedom in the Americas; settled the colony of Plymoth in Massachusetts. After struggling to survive their first winter they were helped by Native Americans to better learn how to fish and farm.
- movement to reform the Catholic Church in the 1500s; led to the creation of many different Christian Churches, these religious differences increased rivalries between nations
5 True/False questions
northwest passage → an area of settlements in North and South America that we conquered by conquistadors.
established church → the chosen religion of a state; most rulers during the 1500s supported this practice.
burgesses → representatives to the government
precedent → example for others to follow in the future
colony → a group of people who settle in a distant land but are still ruled by the government of their native land