5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- acetylcholine (ACH)
- independent variable
- basic research
- a pure science that aims to increase the scientific knowledge base
- b the experimental factor that is manipulated; the variable whose effect is being studied
- c a school of psychology that focused on how mental and behavioral processes function - how they enable the organism to adapt, survive, and flourish.
- d the difference between the highest and lowest scores in a distribution
- e a neurotransmitter that enables learning and memory and also triggers muscle contraction
5 Multiple choice questions
- neural "cables" containing many axons. These bundled axons, which are part of the peripheral nervous system, connect the central nervous system with muscles, glands, and sense organs
- the condition of an experiment that contrasts with the experimental condition and serves as a comparison for evaluating the effect of the treatment
- the view that knowledge comes from experience via the senses, and science flourishes through observation and experiment.
- a neural impulse; a brief electrical charge that travels down an axon. the ____ is generated by the movement of positively charged atoms in and out of channels in the axon's membrane
- historically significant perspective that emphasized the growth potential of healthy people; used personalized methods to study personality in hopes of fostering personal growth
5 True/False questions
biopsychological approach → the scientific study of behavior and mental processes
replication → all the cases in a group, from which samples may be drawn for a study
case study → the enduring behaviors, ideas, attitudes, and traditions shared by a large group of people and transmitted from one generation to the next
endorphins → "morphine within"--natural, opiatelike neurotransmitters linked to pain control and pleasure.
Psychology → the scientific study of behavior and mental processes