5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- peripheral nervous system
- basic research
- a a graphed cluster of dots, each of which represents the values of two variables. The slope of the points suggests the direction of the relationship between the two variables. The amount of scatter suggests the strength of the correlation (little scatter indicates high correlation).
- b pure science that aims to increase the scientific knowledge base
- c the sensory and motor neurons that connect the central nervous system to the rest of the body
- d a nerve cell; the basic building block of the nervous system
- e a school of psychology that focused on how mental and behavioral processes function - how they enable the organism to adapt, survive, and flourish.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the view that knowledge comes from experience via the senses, and science flourishes through observation and experiment.
- an explanation using an integrated set of principles that organizes and predicts observations
- the outcome factor; the variable that may change in response to manipulations of the independent variable
- historically significant perspective that emphasized the growth potential of healthy people; used personalized methods to study personality in hopes of fostering personal growth
- experimental results caused by expectations alone; any effect on behavior caused by the administration of an inert substance or condition, which is assumed to be an active agent
5 True/False questions
central nervous system → the sensory and motor neurons that connect the central nervous system to the rest of the body
synapse → the difference between the highest and lowest scores in a distribution
double blind procedure → scientific study that aims to solve practical problems
natural selection → the principle that, among the range of inherited trait variations, those that lead to increased reproduction and survival will most likely be passed on to succeeding generations
mean → the middle score in a distribution; half the scores are above it and half are below it